Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GAbernathy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Lukewarm water in the shower/hot out of cold in sink.
    Hi,

We bought this house 6 months ago. We have 2 issues with plumbing. 1) The shower water has a single handle. We turn it as far as it will go to hot and the water that comes out is barely lukewarm. We don't have any problems with hot water in any other place in the house, which leads to the other problem. 2) The kitchen sink -- it has a 2 handle faucet. When we turn on the cold water, the water is cold for 1-2 seconds, then it turns hot for about 5-6 seconds and then back cold. The closest plumber is about 30 miles so I was hoping that it could be something that we could fix ourselves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GAbernathy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2008, 05:10 AM
    1) The shower water has a single handle. We turn it as far as it will go to hot and the water that comes out is barely lukewarm.
    You must have a temperature control valve. What's the brand name of the valve.
    2) The kitchen sink -- it has a 2 handle faucet. When we turn on the cold water, the water is cold for 1-2 seconds, then it turns hot for about 5-6 seconds and then back cold
    This in nothing more then simple convection. Feel the cold water supply pipe to the water heater after it's been setting and it will feel hot to the touch. This is convection. When you make a cold water draw the hot water is pulled back into the system and you get a spurt of hot water. Not to worry! It doesn't hurt a thing. Let me know about the shower and we'll check it out. Regards, Tom

Oct 21, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Good Morning,

It is a Kohler. Thank you for your help!

As far as the kitchen sink goes, I'm glad to know that it won't hurt anything but is there anything that can be done so that it doesn't have hot water coming out when cold is turned on? It's not a big deal.

Thanks and have a great day!

GAbernathy

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    You must have a temperature control valve. What's the brand name of the valve.
    This in nothing more then simple convection. Feel the cold water supply pipe to the water heater after it's been setting and it will feel hot to the touch. This is convection. When you make a cold water draw the hot water is pulled back into the system and you get a spurt of hot water. Not to worry! It doesn't hurt a thing. Let me know about the shower and we'll check it out. Regards, Tom
    Hi,

I think I sent the response back to you wrong... The shower fixture is Kohler.

Thank you!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 05:17 PM

The shower faucet has temperature setting ring hidden behind the handle. Remove the handle and remove the temp-setting-ring completaly. You get hot water.

Regarding the kitchen faucet: is there any hot water circulating pump on your hot water system ? If you look under kitchen sink: is there water manifold and / or small pump ?

Oct 22, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    The shower faucet has temperature setting ring hidden behind the handle. Remove the handle and remove the temp-setting-ring completaly. You get hot water.

Regarding the kitchen faucet: is there any hot water circulating pump on your hot water system ? If you look under kitchen sink: is there water manifold and / or small pump ?
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The shower - We took the handle off, screws out to remove the round cover and we see a silver clip ring that's u shaped and a round ring about 1/3 in thick with a small ring/type washer behind it. There is no other removable parts. We have removed all of the above and we can't tell which one would be the temp setting and we can't tell any big difference in the hot water.

The sink - There isn't a water manifold and/or small pump under the sink.

Thank you!!

Geri

Quote Originally Posted by GAbernathy View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The shower - We took the handle off, screws out to remove the round cover and we see a silver clip ring that's u shaped and a round ring about 1/3 in thick with a small ring/type washer behind it. There is no other removable parts. We have removed all of the above and we can't tell which one would be the temp setting and we can't tell any big difference in the hot water.

The sink - There isn't a water manifold and/or small pump under the sink.

Thank you!!!

Geri

Just checking back in to see if you had any suggestions...

Thank you!

Geri
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 01:40 PM
    The shower faucet has that adjustment ring/washer/ device attached around / or on the stem. If you give me model / brand info, I'll try to look it up and give you more specific answer.

Oct 24, 2008, 02:09 PM
    The shower faucet has that adjustment ring/washer/ device attached around / or on the stem. If you give me model / brand info, I'll try to look it up and give you more specific answer.
    Hi,

Thanks but I don't have any idea what the model #, It's a Kohler. We just bought this house about 6 months ago and there isn't a model # on it anywhere that I can see.

I wish I had more information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Geri
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 05:28 PM

Can you take pictures of the faucet in various disasembled stages and post them here? I know we can help, just need more info.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 05:10 PM

Post photo with handle on and w/o handler - we'll figure it out.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Post photo with handle on and w/o handler - we'll figure it out.

Hi,

I'll get the pictures and try to figure out how to post them on Monday, 10/27.

Thanks!

Geri

Oct 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
    [ATTACH]Name:  039.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  040.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  041.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  32.4 KB[/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by GAbernathy View Post
    Hi,

I'll get the pictures and try to figure out how to post them on Monday, 10/27.

Thanks!!

Geri

OK, I think I have the attachments (pictures) on here. I took one with the cover on, one with the cover off and one of the parts that were between the handle and the unit that is in the wall.

Let me know if you got the pictures...

Thanks! Geri
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 08:08 AM

If I am not mistaken, the one in the middle is the one that prevents handle from turning further onto the hot water side.

Do this: Take channel locks and turn water on all the way to the hot side. See if you get hotter water.

Oct 27, 2008, 10:24 AM
    If I am not mistake, the one in the middle is the one that prevents handle from turning on further on hot water side.

Dp this: Take channel locks and turn water on all the way to the hot side. See if you get hotter water.
    You are the greatest! It is hotter! Thank you so much!! You have a great day!!
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 10:28 AM

Thank you for your compliment...

You are not done yet...

Now, when you re-reinstall the small washers, as posted in your third photo, then: the one with set screw hole is the one that sits on the stem in certain position. The set screw is usually little longer and protrudes out a bit. This prevents the handle / stem from turning all the way to the hot water side. Slip the ring over the stem, put set screw in, slightly tighten it, put handle on and see how much hot water you are getting. If not enough, reinstall the ring a bit more to the left/right as needed...

Or, do as most of the people do: they just throw it away and don't use it at all.

Good luck to you !

Oct 27, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Thank you for your compliment...

You are not done yet.....

Now, when you re-reinstall the small washers, as posted in your third photo, then: the one with set screw hole is the one that sits on the stem in certain position. The set screw is usually little longer and protrudes out a bit. This prevents the handle / stem from turning all the way to the hot water side. Slip the ring over the stem, put set screw in, slightly tighten it, put handle on and see how much hot water you are getting. If not enough, reinstall the ring a bit more to the left/right as needed ....

Or, do as most of the people do: they just throw it away and don't use it at all.

Good luck to you !
    Thanks,

I'll probably do like most of the folks... jus throw it away and not use it at all. That sounds the simpliest. You know, it's terrific that this service is available. What a blessing you are to people! Thank you again!

Geri Abernathy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lukewarm hotwater on second floor (sink and shower) but other level hot hot water [ 4 Answers ]

Recently our shower (shower tub combo) with separate cold and hot taps started only giving luke warm water. The same goes for the hot water in the bathroom sink. This is only in the second floor bathroom. On the mainfloor (Kitchen and batheroom) the water is hot hot hot... in the basement...

Lukewarm water at best in shower [ 2 Answers ]

**Update** This problem has been resolved. Hello plumbing experts :) I see that someone else has recently asked a similar question to mine but I'm not sure that the same advice would apply so I'll post my question too in hopes that someone can help. My shower's (no tub) water...

Only lukewarm water in shower and tub [ 1 Answers ]

I have only lukewarm water coming out of my shower and tub- on the water heater is there a dial to turn?

Lukewarm water from shower [ 1 Answers ]

Within the last month I have started getting only lukewarm at best water from my shower. The shower is a one handle moen? turn right for cold and turn left for warm. All the way to the left is now luke warm at best. Even if I let it run for 5min or so it is still barely warm. I did replace the...

View more questions Search