Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KERNSCELESTIN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 12:05 AM
    Credit Card Summons
    Hello,
    I am 20 years old and a week ago received a summons from capital one credit card.I live in Florida. They are taking me to court for a 929.00 debt on my card I work about 21 hours and I'm saving up for school. I was wondering what can I do to have the date postponed on the summons so that I will maybe have a chance to either get the money to pay it or to beat the case? I know there is a certain document I can write to request them to prove the debt how would I go about doing this?
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 11:42 AM

Is this from a collection agency or directly from Capital One? If you want to fight it, file an answer to their complaint as soon as possible. Then hit them up with discovery - to make them prove the debt. There are lots of samples of answers and discovery documents on this forum as well as other debt websites. It is a lot easier to fight a junk debt buyer or collection agency than an original creditor.
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2008, 02:00 PM

I've heard that Capitol One can be difficult to deal with. I agree with Kayebird that your best bet is to file an Answer.

That is your best bet of them either not showing up to court, or when they do show up if you assert enough defenses in your Answer they likely will not have the paperwork to back up their claims and they will ask for a postponement.

I found this lens on Squidoo to be very helpful... How To Respond to A Summons for a Credit Card Debt Lawsuit and there are links to helpful resources when drafting a summons or looking for a template.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card summons [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have incurred a debt from a credit card 4 years ago that Bank of America bought. The debt has been sold to a Cornerstone Financial Corporation for collections from which I received a summon served to me by a local sheriff. I do not own a house, I am jobless , and I am finishing school. ...

Credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

How should I handle a situation if I have been recently summoned

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

Summons for credit card [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone serve your leasing office with papers to give to you? Should you call the creditors after you have been summons? What does file a written answer with the court mean? What should I say? What do you think will happen If I am a married, both full time students, living in low...

Credit Card Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this before and for some reason it was lost. I'll try again. First off, I have read in past postings it helps if I let you know what state and county I am in for a more accurate answer. I live in Jacksonville FL, Duval County. I received a summons (delivered via Jax Sheriff Office)...

View more questions Search