Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peskin2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 10:53 PM
    Visa credit card debt. I am being sued
    I recvd a summons in sept 2008 to appear in civil court on sept 12. I did the Asset corp lawyer did not appear. He had asked for a summary judgment the clerk called him he was supprised I showed up. Original debt was 1300. Now up to 6800. With all the interest and late fees. I am going to pre trial on Jan 09 to sumit history of why I am unable to pay debt. I sent response to Asset lawer telling him my wife and I are both disabled living on my disability benefit. I have no assets and I am unable to pay. I sent a request for a copy of the signed contract at the end of Sept, no response yet? The judge will have all my information at pre trial. My trial date is Feb 09. I owe the money I just can't pay. What do you think the outcome will be? MP.
    kayebird Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 11:46 AM

If you can do some research, you need to submit a discovery request and make them prove the debt. Did you file an answer to their original complaint in the summons? I have dealt with Asset, you can be successful if they don't have proof. They usually buy large portfolios of old debts and don't have any proof to show it was your account. I would call the clerk and ask if it is too late to file a discovery request. They may show up at the next trial date and bully you. Do research on answering complaints and discovery if it is not too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Sued over credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons saying that I am being sued by citibank for $1900. I need to file an answer but I don't know how. The summons did not come with any forms. I live in Ohio and I am a college student. I can't afford daycare so I take care of my son during the day and go to school...

Sued for Credit Card Debt [ 5 Answers ]

My parents received a phone call from a lawyer asking for my wife. My parents refused to give our contact information but rather promised to relay a message, which they did. I contacted the lawyer today who advised us that my wife is being sued for a credit card debt. Background story - short...

View more questions Search