Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 08:22 AM
    Hello Misty, maybe I can help:

Without knowing where you are located, I can’t help you with specific quotes from your state law. All state landlord tenant laws, while similar, are not the same. Also, I notice you use the term “flat”. Does that indicate that you are located outside the US? If that’s so, I have no idea what international landlord tenant laws there are, if any.

However, nowhere in the US is a landlord allowed to enter WITHOUT permission. Do this: Change the locks. Call the landlord. Tell him what you did and why. Tell him that you demand a minimum of 24 hours notice prior to a showing. If he won’t talk to you, leave a message. Follow up with emails, and a letter stating the same thing, sent certified, return receipt requested. Tell him, that if he violates your privacy one more time, you will sue him.

If you let me know where you live, I could give you specific language from your law.

excon
    Misty1982 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 08:29 AM
    Hi Excon,

I actually live in the UK and rent a flat. I spoke to citizens advice but they couldn't really help me. The land lady gave her set of keys to the agency and it is them who have entered my flat without permission. At first they said they had the landlady's permission but now they have changed and said there was a mix up and thought I had been called about it. They have apologised but I am so angry and upset that this has happened because the land lady has also been very nasty throughout the tenancy and this has now topped things off!

Thank you for helping me
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2005, 08:37 AM
    I did not notice you were in UK. I am only familiar with US Landlord-Tenant Law, so my advice may not be applicable. Sorry 'bout that :o
    coolt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Renters laws for landlords
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

The do's and don'ts of a landlord vary depending on the State in which you live. Every state has its own Landlord Tenant Law. While most states are similar, they are not the same.

They are, however, readable and understandable. That is the ONLY place to get these do's and don'ts, and if you're going to be a landlord or tenant (who will be bound by these laws - even if you don't know them), it would be my advice to become intimately familiar with them.

If you'll tell me what state you live in, I'll answer your question specifically.

excon
    I am wanting to rent a house I need know the dos and donts for both parties. What I need to do to get started. I live in the state if Oklahoma. Thanks cool t
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Here's the OL Landlord and Tenant Act laws:
    http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Oklahoma/tenant.html
    Or
    http://www.ohfa.org/Rental/ltact.html
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Also go to http://realestate.findlaw.com/tenant and read about leasing in general. Then click on the Resources link and there should be information for Oklahoma.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit under PA Rental Laws [ 1 Answers ]

I was provided with a lease requiring a security deposit of 11/2 times one month's rent. In addition, the lease requires a pet deposit of $1500. Together the two deposits exceed 2 times one month's rent. Is a pet deposit considered a security deposit? Or, can the landlord exceed the maximum...

Rental laws.. [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in the same apartment for 17 months, we pay $650. With utilities included... also included w/ the apartment is washer/dryer. After living here for 3 months the dryer broke and we have repeatedly been asking for this to be fixed. Our landord is a dumbass and still has not...

NH Rental Deposit Laws [ 0 Answers ]

Undefined Can you take a first and last months rent along with a pet deposit OR is it only First and security

View more questions Search