Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    george.campbell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 11:19 AM
    thinkpad 390x display problem
    I have just bought a thinkpad 390x old and cheap I know but I'm a student
    whenever there is a lot going on on the screen it gets all garbled, when I turn down the amount of colours from the display settings it helps but the problem does not go away
    I have tried to download drivers from the ibm website and install them but nothing helps it
    the laptop is running on windows xp
    any ideas
    thanks
    george
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 4, 2006, 03:23 AM
    Have you experimented with the refresh rate?
    george.campbell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 05:18 AM
    I have tried to but it only gives me the 60 hertz option is it possible that the bios is outdated and too old to run xp - I know that from the ibm website you can update it, however you need a fully charged battery ro run the diskette and I am running the laptop from the mains I was going to buy a new battery but if this doesn't fix it then I wouldn't bother - could it be the bios
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2006, 05:46 AM
    From the IBM website:
    • New, powerful Intel(R) Mobile Celeron (TM) processor at 400 MHz(2) with 128 KB onboard L2 cache memory or Mobile Pentium(R) II processor at 400 MHz with 256 KB onboard L2 cache memory
    • Large, brilliant XGA TFT(3) 381-mm (15-in) active matrix, XGA TFT 358-mm (14.1-in) active matrix, or SVGA TFT 308-mm (12.1-in) active matrix displays with vibrant colors
    • 64 MB of 64-bit SDRAM memory expandable up to 256 MB (4)
    • 4.8 GB(6) or 6.4 GB(5) HDD, expandable or replaceable with optional 6.4 GB or 10.0 GB HDD

So it's a bit underpowered for XP. Perhaps the issue has to do with video drivers that don't exist for XP. I would format and use Win 98 on that laptop. I have the same setup at home with an old laptop that I want to use wirelessly.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jun 4, 2006, 10:46 AM
    I agree with Need on this, from his description it sounds a bit underpowered. Using win 98 or adding extra memory (upto the 256mb limit) might just make it bearable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ThinkPad boot problem [ 2 Answers ]

WHen I try to boot my ThinkPad I get the error "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I have not had problems in past nor have I made any recent changes. Any suggestions to get back on line. My OS is windows XP PRofessional

Ibm 390X 2626-LNU Boot problem [ 11 Answers ]

I just bought a very nice used IBM 390X 2626LNU. The machine is perfect except for a boot problem. When you shut the computer down it will not restart until you remove all power to the laptop and then return power. It's as if some little part of the laptop refuses to shut down finishing the cylcle....

Win98SE Wallpaper Display Properties Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I decided to change my wallpaper for the holidays and I noticed that the area where the wallpapers are listed as well as the small Display dropdown menu are no longer working? Whenever I try to click in either one of them, nothing happens. I can still change wallpaper on my desktop by...

IBM 390X CD-ROM Booting Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just got an IBM 390X at a computer show. I have no docs and Windows is not my really my specialty. Neither are laptops. So, here's my problem. I replaced the hard drive because I needed more disk, and now I need to reinstall Windows. I can't seem to boot from the DVD drive to start the...

I need help with opening a 390x ibm thinkpad laptop [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: If anyone has a manual that has the instructions on how to open or as they call it I think disassemble a IBM thinkpad 390x 2626 I would appreciate a copy of just this section please... I have taken the screws out of the back and popped the top but it will not go past halfway it appears...

View more questions Search