Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KariAndersen Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Jun 3, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Teacher Burn Out?
    I am a former middle school teacher of 12 years and I eventually burned out. I loved teaching but I couldn't sustain the level of involvement required to be an EXCELLENT teacher. I didn't want to be anything less than that.

How many of you have suffered from teacher burn out? Stories?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Hi, Kari,
    Nice Photo!
    I was a high school math teacher for 13 yrs, then decided to change careers. I think money was what made me do it!
    I also was getting tired of the same-ole, same-ole, day in and day out. I do know some teachers, at that time, not many, who should NOT have been teachers! They really didn't care, and spent all their prep time at school reading the newspaper; didn't do any at home either!
    Best wishes to you, and hope all is going well.

Jun 7, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi, Kari,
    I do know some teachers, at that time, not many, who should NOT have been teachers! They really didn't care, and spent all their prep time at school reading the newspaper; didn't do any at home either!
    Best wishes to you, and hope all is going well.
    I know exactly what you are saying! I worked really hard to be an outstanding teacher (in my opinion.. he he! ) and I got paid the same as the video show-ers and the newspaper readers. I didn't resent them because I truly believe in the Law of Compensation, and I knew that I would be compensated in the long run for my efforts but it got frustrating at times.

I enjoy what I do so much now and I still teach but I teach people who want to learn and I get compensated accordingly.

Thanks for your reply and I hope to hear from you again!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Sign me up.

I taught something like 7 years, strictly chemical labs for sophomore level pharmacy, bio, chem, physics students. Basically a job that is often done by masters and doctorals at larger schools. At my university it was a paid position with 5-7 people on staff, as we were more of a service department for the larger pharm and bio programs.

I loved the topic, loved the students, liked the general flexibility that teaching at the university gave in term of schedule and hours, but the overall pay to time spent was crushing.

I hate to call our dept a service dept, as it had a really nice chem program that put out quality graduates, but our job was really 90% about taking care of the prereq classes the premed, bio, and pharm students needed. And there were LOTS of them.

You just cannot teach 240 students the same way you teach 40. Good teaching takes time. As the classes expanded and we needed to offer more sections the work load became massive. I didn't mind it the first two years I taught... I was single and really enjoyed it. But after I was married and especially after I had a child, the after hours work was all consuming. And I had to pick up a second job to make the kind of money I wanted.

I quit two years ago, knowing I could not do a mediocre job and that I could not do the hours it would take to perform at the level I expected to give. After going through a 2 year salary review that wound up being a slap in the face id had enough. In retrospect, I'm probably glad the raise wasn't more, as I might have stayed longer.

Jun 7, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    you just cannot teach 240 students the same way you teach 40. good teaching takes time. as the classes expanded and we needed to offer more sections the work load became massive. i didnt mind it the first two years i taught... i was single and really enjoyed it. but after i was married and especially after i had a child, the after hours work was all consuming. and i had to pick up a second job to make the kind of money i wanted.
    I was teaching English and Social Studies at the end of my teaching career and we were required to score 15 to 20 writing samples per kid and I had 120 students. Then I would have to enter all the scores into an internet-based data system so that the state could have records of those scores. I had three babies at home because my husband became a stay-at-home dad (read his story) while I was teaching. But I still had to maintain the house work...... blah, blah, blah.... you get the picture. I was tired!!!

I'm home now and it's heaven. I still work really hard but it's on my own time schedule with my own "induced" work load. LOL!!

MickStKFC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 07:45 PM
    I love teaching but the casualisation of the workplace is driving me nuts. A long time ago I had the whole insane parents and spineless principals thing, but only recently I had a brilliant job.

I was working at a lovely ESL school last year and hands down it was the best job I had ever had. I had a good relationship with the students, I was able to try new educational strategies with them. I really felt like I was doing some good.

The contract finished, now I'm struggling to get substitute teaching work - I've had to try and get help from a charity to renew my forklift licence because the work is so thin on the ground. I've been burned out, got up again and had a really great time teaching only to get knocked down because enrollments were down. It puts stress on my relationship, my lifestyle and my health.

Last year I was making a difference to peoples lives and helping young Sudanese refugees get their driving licence. Now I'm calling up charities to get free meals and food stamps when I'm not applying for jobs. Something in this whole mess just doesn't seem right.
    MickStKFC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 07:52 PM

I love teaching but the casualisation of the workforce and term - long contracts have been driving me nuts.

Sure I've worked in low socio economic schools and had the traditional "burnout" problems, hostile parents, belligerent kids and spineless administrators but it's when a great job cuts you off at the knees you really get disheartened.

I had a brilliant job working at a really lovely ESL school last year working with African refugee kids. I really felt I was achieving a lot, had a fantastic working relationship with both the kids and the staff.

Because enrollments were down none of the new staff got their contracts renewed. Now I'm struggling to find substitute teaching work and I'm renewing my forklift license because the works so thin on the ground.

Last year I felt really proud, I was making a huge difference to the lives of some young people who really needed the help, and showed they appreciated it.

Now I'm struggling to put food on my table, literally, I've had to go to the Salvation Army to get meals. Something seems basically wrong about all of this!
    glowry1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 06:09 PM
    I taught for 4 years, got my Masters in Education and then had to say home when baby number three came.
    I love staying at home, but he older one is dyslexic! Ah the schools just couldn't, wouldn't help with this. I don't care what they say they'll do, it's never enough, trust me! I had to go back and take extra courses just to help him at home. Part of the program is helping other kids too. That really tuckers me out, but at least I make a little money.
    I really don't know if I could go back full time with all these issues I need to help the kids with...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher certification on line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Have any of you folks had experience with or investigated teacher certification on line? I like the idea of taking tests and really studying. Plus I went to college for an accumulative 5 years in several countries. Can any of you recommend a recognized program? Thanks! JB

This teacher needs an answer... [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what the following code means: OA9 OA4 TRI The zeros actually have a slash through them although I can't show that using my keyboard. I believe the TRI refers to TriCities Airport in Blountville TN. Any idea??

Kid wrongly accuses teacher [ 5 Answers ]

Hello... my husband has been teaching at a school for 6 months. (he has been a teacher for 20 years at other schools)... He did not like the school he was teaching at for 6 months, so he gave notice in May that he is quitting on June 30th, when the semester ends... On June 1, when all the kids...

Can't burn cds but DVDS burn fine [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there I have looked through the relevant forum pages and couldn't find the answer so here goes.I have a Sony DVD RW DW -D22A (cd rom drive)if I want to burn any DVD fine no problems but a different matter for cdrs.If I put a blank cdr into the drive and then try to burn all that...

Teacher training interview [ 3 Answers ]

I have an interview and need to know some answers to these questions? 1. what do you think primary teachers should know in order to be effective in the classroom? 2. The Primary National Strategy is based on the Principles of excellence and enjoyment. Is it possible for a teacher when planning...

View more questions Search