Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joanneluc Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Separate compressed blown insulation packages
    I am insulating my attic with blown cellulose. I don't wan't to rent the machine, so to save money, I will spread it by hand. Any ideas on how to separate the compressed packages?

Thank you

Luc
    02dodgeman Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2008, 04:52 PM

Counting the time you will spend on doing it by hand you might want to rent the machine. I know that it will be a lot quicker ( time is money ) unless you have nothing else to do.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Don't think you want to spread by hand, you are defeating the whole idea, which is to have some air space in the insulation.

It will also take a lot more insulation, as it will end up being more dense.

I vote you get a machine.

Good luck Roger
    02dodgeman Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Home repair View Post
    Don't think you want to spread by hand, you are defeating the whole idea, which is to have some air space in the insulation.

It will also take a lot more insulation, as it will end up being more dense.

I vote you get a machine.

Good luck Roger
    I aggree that the air space created by blowing it in gives you your insulating.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 21, 2008, 09:58 AM

I agree with everyone, it is meant to be blown in. If you don't want to rent the machine use batt insulation.

Oct 21, 2008, 10:17 AM

OK... ok I hear you guys... your right... what was I thinking!!

Thanks all for the awakening...
    bwhandy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
    When I bought my insulation from Menards the rental was free , 4 or 8 hours worth depending on how much I bought.
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2008, 05:18 AM
    You can go to Lowe's. The blower is free for 24 hours. They state a minimum of 10-20 cubes but usually let it go for less (good customer relations). Your back WILL thank you. If you want the easier job, do the blowing in the attic. Feeding the machine is tough. It goes through material fast. A friend got 45 cubes and was finished and back to the store to return the blower in 3 hours.

Oct 24, 2008, 05:24 AM

THanks guys... Here in Ottawa Canada everything is expensive... but I'm renting the machine tomorrow morning, and getting the job done... I finished installing the baffles last night, and now all I have to do is blow that insulation in place..!

Have a great weekend all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown Insulation and Attic Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Does the R value of blown insulation reduce if the insulation is compressed. The reason I ask is I have a section in my attic which is over a room and therefore has blown in insulation. If I place attic flooring (just a 4x8 sheet of wood) over it does it reduce the effectiveness. I know they...

Need any Blown-In Insulation Tips [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for tips from anyone who has done this in the past. I have a 50s ranch which has a very small (about 1/3 volume) amount of blown foam insulation in the exterior walls. The exterior is brick so this would have to be done from the interior. The interior walls are the original plaster...

Can you actually bury IC rated recessed lighting in blown insulation? [ 1 Answers ]

My Lithonia Lighting L7X IC rated recessed housings spec sheet says approved for direct burial in insulation. OK, I can read, but do you guys really believe I can bury them in over a foot of blown flame retardant cellulose or blown fiberglass? If not a fire hazard, do you think the lights will...

View more questions Search