Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmyers21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Square footage
    We bought a house. It was just what we wanted and our realtor assisted in finding it and successfully negotiated the deal. We had the house inspected and the mortgage company is fine with everything. The house is on MLS as 2000 square feet but in fact is about 1800.
    We don't really care as the house fills our needs - is there something wrong with this?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 11:23 AM

It was most likely appraised and a good appraiser would have mentioned the discrepancy and it would have certainly impacted the valuation, but it didn't kill the deal.
    If I like the property I would forget about the 200 sq. feet. You could use it for renegotiation but if you have already signed a contract, you would have to consult an attorney for advce. I am not a real estate expert.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 02:07 PM

I had a similar situation - bought a house that was listed as being on 3.7 acres, but in fact was only 3. We didn't find out about the discrepancy until two days before closing, after the property had been surveyed, appraised, mortgage secured etc. At that point we could have tried to negotiate for a lower price, or backed out of the deal I suppose, but we decided to go ahead with closing and try to get something back after the purchase (which didn't work). In your case, you are happy and the bank is happy, so no harm. However, be sure to check with the tax assesor in your town to ensure that your property taxes are based on 1800 sq ft ,not 2000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square Footage measurement. [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to get the correct square footage of living space for a home? What measurements should I take to compile this number? And what areas do not come into consideration? Thanks. Dave.

Walk-out Bsmt as Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

My walk-out basement has several large windows (32x50) above grade and a door leading to two steps to the door to the yard. The area is finished and heated and cooled with another staircase leading to the kitchen. We are relocating and the appraiser won't base upon 1916 sq ft to include the bsmt....

Square footage [ 6 Answers ]

How do I calculate the square footage of a room

BTU Calculation estimating square footage for furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I had a 100,000 BTU furnace replaced with a 75,000 BTU 80% furnace. I have a two story house with a finished basement and was told the basement square footage is not used in calculating the square footage for sizing the furnace BTU's. I'm wondering if this is true? The two stories is...

Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

Hoe do I correctly determin the square footage of a property?

View more questions Search