Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmnotok Posts: 217, Reputation: 37

Oct 20, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Childish or what?
    I'm just curious, what do you guys think about a 20-year-old-guy who is still obsessed with Batman?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 09:44 AM

Define obsession... what level is he at?

Oct 20, 2008, 09:49 AM

Batmn necklace, batman backpack, car full of batman stuff, even placed Batman as his middle name! When I ask him why does he like Batman that much, he said "i love him, i grew up with him"
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 09:52 AM

Perhaps there is another word rather than childish... Not long ago when I was a child and I am pretty sure I never liked anything that much. If he changed his middle name to Batman, that would freak me out a little bit. Maybe some others will weigh in on this issue... never really dealt with it before.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:02 AM

I can't really talk as I am a HUGE Colorado Avalanche fan, tons of Avalanche merch, jerseys and even an Avalanche logo tattoo.

His behavior may be weird or childish to you, but to others it could be cool or not a big deal. It's how you feel not how others perceive you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 10:41 AM

Get a Robin backpack, and go hiking. You really don't have to change your name though, unless you want to.

Excuse me while I go web-slinging, with my grandson, who is Wolverine today.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 10:47 AM

How is this any different than girls obsessed with clothes, or shoes, or guys who spend a little too much money on their cars?

Ignore the Batman thing for now. How is he as an attentive and fun boyfriend? If the worst sin this man has is that he has a hobby this is weird, but harmless, you totally can live with that, right?
    Dragonfly1234 Posts: 161, Reputation: 49

Oct 20, 2008, 12:18 PM

Start a Barbie obsession and see how he feels about it. If it bothers him, tell him you feel the same about his 'thing' with batman, and if he doesn't really care, well... I guess maybe you can learn something from his 'young at heart' behaviour... or make all his batman stuff 'disappear', that's how my mom got me to stop taking the bottle... at 5 years old...
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 12:37 PM

I totally know what you're going through- my husband is 100% obsessed with Metallica- I bet 95% of his shirts are Metallica. He has every album ever released and he gets on their website EVERY day. He also has OCD, and as much as the Metallica obsession bothers me, I let it slide because I love him to death.
    brkfstatiffs Posts: 263, Reputation: 21

Oct 20, 2008, 12:59 PM

It would probably weird me out a little... similar to men and their star wars obsessions. But maybe he has all that crap as a joke... like his friends and fam always get him batman sh_t for bdays holidays as a running joke?

I think being obsessed with bands and sports teams is TOTALLY different.
    wikedjuggalo Posts: 406, Reputation: 43

Oct 20, 2008, 01:01 PM

What's wrong with batman?
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 10:59 PM

I could think of a lot of worse things to be obsessed with ;)

Name:  batlight.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  2.3 KB
    kitten420 Posts: 237, Reputation: 20

Oct 20, 2008, 11:07 PM

It's a little weird but he probably just likes it a lot its like collecting comics you might not understand why but he is the only one that does. And he enjoys it so just let the guy have his fun and leave it at that. And if it really freaks you out that much then just don't associate with him anymore.

Oct 27, 2008, 03:47 AM

I don't have any problem with batman, sometimes its even fun. I was just curious...

So time went by, he proved himself not so childish as I thought before. But this guy Andy made me confused. We both attend a same class at school, so we have a chance to meet on Monday, he tried to sit next to me every time, he also followed me to the cafeteria to have breakfast with me, we also talked in class. Other than that, we went clubbing together twice with a group of people. For the 1st time we went to a pub together, when he saw me talking with and hugged a guy friend whom he doesn't know, he acted pretty up front by asking both of us if we're bf-gf. I said no but he kept on asking me more than 10 times. Then he was just around me while the whole group danced. After that, he kissed me on the forehead and said it would be the craziest thing he does since I would tell the whole class about it. Then he pulled me to the corner. We talked, I found out that he's the very nice person. Yet I didn't really like him. After that night, my friends all said that they saw "something" happened between us.

2 weeks later, aside from class/school times, which everyone saw us go together, we went to a pub the 2nd time. This is where it turned out weird. This time, there were more guys went along and they're all my normal friends. He questioned me again if some guy here is my boyfriend or not. When I said no, he acted like I was his. So we danced and kissed then he said lets run away for a while, I thought we were going out to have something to eat but he pulled me to a corner and we made out. I just didn't want it to go too far, so in the middle, I said "lets just go back, ok?". He said "yeah, ok, but are you ok?, your sure your ok?" I said yes, we held hands going back to other people. The next week I saw him in class, we just talked in a very playful way. And the lecturer had us watched a documentary movie. I was trying to drive ppl's attention away, because my classmates all suspect this. So I tried to sit far from him. He called out my name and pointed to the table next to him, meaning that I should sit right there, not somewhere else. My desk was too tiny so I moved to that table. In the afternoon, I just bumped into a mutual friend on my way home, and accidentally met him again. He told that friend to tell me that he's the best student in that class. I was surprised and said goodbye to that friend, and pretended to forget about him. He yelled out "Bye bye, why you said bye to him , not to me??? hmm" I just smiled.

Problem is he never said he likes me. Given the fact that we both know that I'm leaving in less than 2 months and we might never see each other again. So, I don't know if he just want to have fun, he likes me a little or whatever... Since I'm not a sensitive girl. And he's just sooo nice to other people too...
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 05:14 AM

"I enjoy our little times playing around together. It's fun. But I'm leaving in 2 months. Please don't mistake my kissing you as meaning more than it does. You can't own me nor control me since this can't be anything more than playful and fun. OK? I need you tell me you understand."

Oct 27, 2008, 11:04 PM

Oh yeah, I just realized that I'm an idiot
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 28, 2008, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmnotok View Post
    oh yeah, i just realized that im an idiot
    Did I miss something here? What makes you think you are an idiot?

Nov 1, 2008, 08:01 AM

Because I'm asking questions that don't really matter anymore. Im leaving anyway, knowing someone likes me or not only adds up confusion...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 3, 2008, 01:05 PM

If he starts spending more time or a ton of money and attention, with his obssession with his Batman collection than with you, you might have a problem. All things in moderation, but an obssession just like any other, can get out of control, and cause hurt and resentment.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Nov 3, 2008, 01:35 PM

The changing of his name is a little much in my opinion. However, lots of older guys still like comic books and the characters. Hollywood is releasing all kinds of movies based on comic book heroes (iron man, batman, spiderman, the hulk) and the theater is not filled by only 13 year olds.

I admit that I grew up with comic books and still have fond memories of the characters. It's not as childish as some make it out to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why are young teens so childish in their relationships? [ 12 Answers ]

I didn't get on well with anyone at my old school because the girls were always interested in the fittest boys they didn't even consider what they were like or what their views were. I'm not fit and I'm certinantly not 'cool' but I can offer a meaning full relationship without having to be...

What should I do about a childish mother in law to be? [ 4 Answers ]

I am not really sure what category this falls under so... I am normally a very understanding person, but my situation is making me a tense and unreasonable one. I moved to Texas from Oregon to be with the guy I love, which is great. The one thing I am having issues with is the whole living...

View more questions Search