Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amie2929 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Disorderly conduct for employment app
    Help!
    I'm applying for a new job(a county job)in my area the app is going to ask have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor? I have a disorderly conduct charge from about 10 years ago at least of course I would have to mention this(I'm in pennsylvania)will this affect my chances of being hired.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 3, 2006, 07:16 AM
    If they do a background check that turns it up and you didn't list it, you are likely to be taken as untruthful, which is never good. Better to list it, and hope or even at some point politely request that they hear you out about having learned the lesson. You have learned it, right? The better employers are all to happy to hire honest people who learn from their mistakes, from what I have experienced.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Hello amie:

Disorderly conduct?? Ten years ago?? A misdemeanor?? Girl, you worry too much.

That said, of course it will affect their hiring decision. However, rather than just list it and wait for them to ask about it, hit them head-on with your explanation. Write a short summary of the incident and attach it to your app. Of course, a resume that you prepared yourself, will emphasize your positive accomplishments better than just an application would. I would absolutely make one and attach it to the app too.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Excon is very true on this, as a manager who does a lot of hiring, (more in the past) except when I worked for the Federal Government who has very strange hiring rules, the worst thing a person could do was not to include information, if we found that they were fired and they said they had not been, or we found a criminal record and they said there was none, they would be tosed in the round filing cabinet by the desk very quickly.

But a person who explained their issues, and took time to show how they learned from a mistake was taken more serouisly.

And honesly disorderly conduct, I am lucky I don't have a dozen of those from some of the protests and marches I have been on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Haunted by a Disorderly Conduct [ 2 Answers ]

Will a Disorderly Conduct (Violation) sealed by the court prevent me from working for specifically for a bank? Or any other types of employment? Also, will my fingerprints show up (the bank is requiring that I submit them) - they were confirmed by the city/county that they were destroyed &...

Regarding H1b employment [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question that if a person is employed on H1-B visa, can he have a misc income, that is either from work from home kind of job where you get a 1099 form, is it legal to do this kind of work and earn side income apart from your H1-B employment. In this case when you file return apart...

Defense against immoral conduct? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, A friend(Key Word) and school advisor recently divorced. Her husband had me served with a Arbitration Paper. It claims immoral acts on my part caused his divorce. I have never been to there home, and have several E-Mails from her which show I rebuked her advances and that I was only talking...

F1 and self-employment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am on F-1 visa and want to sell jewelry made by me, just couple of samples. I found a site, some News letter for international student (//infohost.nmt.edu/~stuaffs/Intl/Newsletters/May2003.pdf), where they say self-employment is illegal for F-1. Though I remember I saw somewhere info that...

Employment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Will I Find Employment Soon? My Birthday Is 4/28/49. Thank You, Sharon

View more questions Search