Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Remodeling a remodel
    A ceiling light was removed during a previous remodel and power was directed to supply a ceiling fan with a light kit installed. The ceiling fan was subsequently replaced with another unit (also with a light kit installed.)

At the old box there is currently no light fixture. Just a bundle of black, white and ground wires.

The wall switch has only two wires connected - black to the top screw and white to the bottom screw and it turns on/off power to the current ceiling fan which has three speeds (controlled by a pull-chain) and four bulb light kit (also controlled with a pull chain.) the ground coming into the gang is connected to the ground screw in the box.

My desire is to replace the current fan unit with one with no light kit installed and place a ceiling light back in the original location. I want to use a two-switch wall switch in a fashion that one switch will control the ceiling light and the other switch will control the fan.

I am hoping this can be done without having to run more wire. (but doubt it)

The current single wall switch only has the one set of wires coming in and connected as described above. At the location of the original ceiling light fixture there are three sets of wire coming into the box. I shall attempt to accurately describe their interconnectivity. (I do not know for sure which set of wires are doing what) but here goes.. .

One set of black/white/ground come in on one side of the box and two sets (one above the other) of black/white/ground come in on the other side of the box (the side toward the ceiling fan.)

They are connected in the following manner:

l/h black is connected to the r/h (top) white
    l/h white is free (unattached)
    l/h ground is connected to the r/h (bottom) white

r/h (top) black and r/h (bottom) black are connected
    r/h (top) ground is connected to ground screw in the ceiling box
    r/h (bottom) ground is free (unattached)

What wires will be needed and at what points to allow for the new double switch to perform the separate functions desired?

I am guessing that there will need to be at least one pigtail run from somewhere to accommodate the second switch but have no idea from what point to where.

Would appreciate some guidance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 06:17 AM
    You need to add another cable to have another switched leg at the ceiling outlet, or replace the two wire cable with a three wire cable, black , red, and white.

Of course with a ground too, but we never count the ground wire, it is understood.

Or you can get a ceiling fan/light with a remote control.

Something about the ceiling wires as you described how they aare connected does not make sense. A picture would help greatly. Which two wires actually connect to the light? May not matter since another wire or a remote is needed.

Try not to get a Hampton Bay fan thou, or you will be back here with more questions because it failed.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Try not to get a Hampton Bay fan thou, or you will be back here with more questions because it failed.
    YOU BETTA PREACH!!
    mch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    You need to add another cable to have another switched leg at the ceiling outlet, or replace the two wire cable with a three wire cable, black , red, and white.

Of course with a ground too, but we never count the ground wire, it is understood.

Or you can get a ceiling fan/light with a remote control.

Something about the ceiling wires as you described how they aare connected does not make sense. A picture would help greatly. Which two wires actually connect to the light? May not matter since another wire or a remote is needed.

Thanks for the prompt response.. . I will have to get back to you later with a picture though. There are many things about this house that do not make sense to me but then I am not an electrical expert or would not be here.

It is very possible that I have missed something in the description of the issue and the fact that the current ceiling fan/light (a hampton bay unit which has given many years of trouble-free service) is still in use does not allow for a more in-depth description. Once I get it down and can provide you with more details I will re-post my issue.

I suspect more wires will be needed.. .

Many thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Remodel gets complicated [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I got a remodel of my kitchen in progress that got abit more complicated. My father was an electrician 30+ years ago and has given me his advice but fears his knowledge is out dated. Older home that had only 2w, with no ground and I discovered I need a new 50amp socket to run my new range....

Remodeling tub/shower area [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a shower tub combo that is tiled. I would like to strip it down and put new walls and tile. Do I have to put green board along with cement board in this area or can I just use cement board and tile on it? I also want to know it I can prop the tub to lean back a little. Currently the...

Remodeling Bathroom, Need to move drains/vents [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I am moving all fixtures, toilet, sinks, shower, and jaccuzi. It is on a concrete slab, which I have mostly tore up. I am looking for some help with vents and drains for my new project. I attached a PDF with my proposed fixture layout. I...

Remodeling a Shower Stall [ 1 Answers ]

If I purchase an acrylic shower base is it necessary to install some sort of moisture barrier between the cement board and the base? Thanks, Mike R

View more questions Search