Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Grease trap backing up
    At my restaurant, I have a 10-lb grease trap right under my sink. I don't use dishes at my place (styrofoam boxes) so the only "grease" that's going down my drain is when I wash my fryer baskets (4) once a week. The thing is, I just had my grease trap pumped about 2 weeks ago, and recently, it started to back up heavily. I've had it overflow numerous times even when I'm just flushing down water in my sink.

I called up the grease trap pump company and they said my pipes are clogged with grease... but I have almost NO grease going down the pipes, so why should we have any grease backing up?

Suggestions?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 01:35 AM

Every restaurant has problem with clogged drains caused by presence of grease in sewer pipes. That's why you are required to install grease trap. It is not only the fryer, but also dishwasher and small sinks that may, and will, carry grease to the drain. Grease traps are only 85% efficient, meaning, they still allow about 15% of grease down the drain. Grease traps should be cleaned once a month, otherwise grease build up may cause waste water overflow.

I suspect that the grease trap cleaning company did sloppy job. That's what's usually the case.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 20, 2008, 04:54 AM
    I called up the grease trap pump company and they said my pipes are clogged with grease... but I have almost NO grease going down the pipes, so why should we have any grease backing up?
    Milo's bang on when he says,
    Every restaurant has problem with clogged drains caused by presence of grease in sewer pipes. That's why you are required to install grease trap. It is not only the fryer, but also dishwasher and small sinks that may, and will, carry grease to the drain. Grease traps are only 85% efficient, meaning, they still allow about 15% of grease down the drain. Grease traps should be cleaned once a month, otherwise grease build up may cause waste water overflow.
    Great observation, Milo.
    Let me tell youwhat I ran into when I was called to clear a drain line clogged with grease that ran from the restaurant to the grease trap. I went up on the roof and snaked from the roof vent. ( no jet cleaning back then) No joy! The grease simply closed up behind the auger, the spade and the cutter tip. OoooK! Time to call in the big guns. Blast-Out is a sulfuric acid based drain cleaner that is only sold through the wholesale house to licensed plumbers. So I poured a gallon of the stuff down the stack and waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing! I thought the acid would turn the grease to soup and everything would just drain away. Well! Missed again! Time to think outside the box.
    I rented a steam jenny, took it on the roof, (one story, flat roof) and directed the steam down the stack.. It took some time but at last the grease began to melt and flow into the trap which we then pumped out. That's my grease trap story. Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 05:52 AM

Yep, Tom, we all have one of those ! Grease traps are not fun to deal with, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing !
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:08 AM

I understand that the grease may be stuck in the drains, Milo... however, my post indicates that I have no dishwasher, the grease from the fryer goes straight to the grease holding tank, etc.

The ONLY grease that goes through the grease trap is the grease that I wash off my fryer baskets (4) once a week. Other than that, NO GREASE! And I DO get my grease trap pumped once a month.

Is it possible that my washing of my fryer baskets once a week have clogged up the grease trap?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 20, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Sneezy,
    Milo says,
    Grease traps are only 85% efficient, meaning, they still allow about 15% of grease down the drain.
    which would explain the build up past the trap in your pipes .
    Is it possible that my washing of my fryer baskets once a week have clogged up the grease trap?
    I believe what's happened here is that over time the 15% of the grease that the trap didn't catch simply built up in the pipes. You're looking to place the blame or to find a reason. Why nor simply clear the line and get past it. Chances it will build back up over time but at least it won't be a mystery anymore. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 06:36 AM

Not really looking for someone to blame, but it's just hard to believe that over the past year, that tiny amount of grease (maybe a tablespoon or so) has clogged up my entire drain. How do other restaurants who actually wash dishes deal with this?

That, and I just don't feel like paying to get it cleared :(

Any solutions to clear it other than hiring a plumber?
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 06:37 AM

Yes, it doesn't happen over night but drains will progressively clog over period. It shouldn't be such a big project to have them jet-cleaned. After that, you should be trouble free for some time again.

No offense, but I have never seen food-establishment with clean drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do I HAVE to Dig and Bypass my Grease Trap? [ 4 Answers ]

Our brick ranch house in the Denver area was built in 1952, and until recently we never knew it had a grease trap. The kitchen sink started running slow and our drain cleaning guy said the grease trap was near full and the best thing to do would be to locate it, (probably just outside the house in...

Grease trap problems [ 6 Answers ]

We are installing grease traps in a school system, 90% of them have caused major odor problems in the buildings within a few days. These are older exsisting plumbing systems,that we are adding the traps to. We have tried everything we can think of any suggestions

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search