Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Traveler5000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 01:03 AM
    403b Traditional IRA
    My hospital has changed its 403b plan with ING to a new 403b with Lincoln. Can I rollover the old 403b plan to a tradictional ira or to Lincoln without paying any taxes or fees?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 03:52 PM

Yes, and no. I should think that your existing balances with ING woud be transferred automatically to Lincoln. Check with your plan administrator to see whether that will happen, or will you have a legacy account with HSBC. As for rolling the account to an IRA - in general you cannot transfer an existing 403(b) to a rollover IRA as long as you are still employed at the job where the 403(b) is funded. Once you leave employment of the hospital this is something to consider.
    LicensedAdvisor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 21, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Actually, if your Hospital allows an "in-service withdrawl" or "non-hardship withdrawls," you can move the existing money into another qualified retirement account (i.e. an IRA), as long as you do it within 60 days of pulling the money from the 403b. If your company allows this, you are able to do this once a year by law, even though the plan may require you to withhold 20%. Call your HR personnel, and they will be able to help you. Also, consult w/ a local Financial Professional as to the ups and down sides of your investment options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use my 403b to purchase my first home [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I hope to purchase our first home this coming fall but are not sure if we can use the 17K that we have in my 403 (b). My understanding is that we are allowed to use money saved in our Roth IRA (since we are first time home buyer; we each have $3500 in the Roth IRA). My wife also has...

403B Rollover while working after 59 1/2 Questions [ 1 Answers ]

My current employer changed 403B plan providers 3-4 years ago. My old account is still with the old provider company. However, my new contributions go into the new Provider Plan. I am over 59 1/2, can I roll the funds from the old plan over to a Traditional IRA without issue? Also, if I take...

403b questions. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, almost 2 years ago I took a 5,000 dollar loan on my 403b, in which I have aprox 25,000. I took the loan due to financial hardship after a break up and move, credit debt etc. It helped me with some of my problems but I find that I have to have around 2,000 dollars very soon or I may be...

View more questions Search