Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    revenge Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2008, 05:34 PM
    How to become a Chef?
    I have been doing research on how to become a chef and I really can't find anything. That can really help me. First of all I never worked in a kitchen before. I never worked in a restaurant or any other places like that. So I am interested in becoming a chef. I want to know how and what I need to do. What kind of school can I go. Or what they expect from me as a beginner. I will really appreciate if you could help me.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 05:44 PM

You could pick one of the many fine culinary institutes from anywhere around the country. Its basically a cooking collage. Another thing you might look into is taking a class in business economics if your planning on running your own place. Or just to get your feet wet try looking into local cooking classes and see how you like it and also decide what types of food you want to cook.

http://www.ciachef.edu/
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 07:40 PM

I also may suggest working as a helper in a upscale place to see what it is like.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 08:09 PM

The U.S. government puts out a book every two years called the Occupational Outlook Handbook. There is information about many careers--training needed, working conditions, income expected, job outlook, etc. Here is the online version "opened" to "chef":

Chefs, Cooks, and Food Preparation Workers
    mit_iv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 02:34 AM
    Here's the updated version of your link:

Food Preparation and Serving Occupations - http://www.bls.gov/ooh/food-preparation-and-serving/home.htm

Another good resource you can read is this article: Choosing the right staff for your restaurant - http://www.culinarydepotinc.com/blog/choosing-the-right-staff-for-your-restaurant/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Become a master Chef [ 2 Answers ]

What Requirement Does it take to Be a Chef

Magic chef dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer will run fine one day and the next it will buzz( longer than it was designed 2) and then start. If I open it to put more in it will buzz and not start. I tried unpluging it, diff temps, no temp. I'll take out all my stuff and push start and then it starts... I'am close to causing it VERY...

Chef [ 4 Answers ]

What is the name of the 2nd in command in the kitchen of a restraurant?

Magic Chef Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I run an apartment complex's maintenance department with 250 units. I've been doing this for a few years and before that I was in the hvac and appliance repair business. I have a problem that is popping up in several of these refrigerators that I have not figured out. I have called...

View more questions Search