Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
    System Admin Rules determined.in Vista
    Hi dear gurus..
    OK, my laptop, only one using it, and I am the Admin.. So why is it when I want to install a newly purchased program that is an *.msi file on CD, I get the message:
    System administrator rules (or policies) do not allow installation of this program. Well close, but since it's in German - is basically what it means.

I went to the MSN database for help, again in German, as the my Vista Basic OS is in German and I have no choice in this language on several apps... and got some gibberish to go to the registry and find the 'installers/products/etc' and check for the software ID - then to remove that entry... ( to be very careful or I could damage my PC if I do something wrong) and try again.
    How can I also tell my system that I am it's GOD and I only should rule - not Vista?. Sorry for being so sarcastic at this moment, but am really frustrated at this point and really need some assistance.
    I've tried changing attributes, take over ownership, run as admin.. you name it, I tried it.. I have a super firewall, that learns, do registry cleaning and defrag on a regular basis - so no real clutter.

Well, I could only find and install the older and German version of this program and wanted to replace it with the newer English version my daughter bought for me and was hoping that it was not just an *.msi file. - that's when the trouble started in the first place. My system does allow me to install other English programs, so it's not that stubborn yet...

So, what do I do? Remove the registry entry (maybe uninstall the older version first) referring to this application (and how) and try again?

This is the new ArtRage2.5 Program my daughter bought me as an early x-mas gift and I really want to use it to create some oil paintings of my family.

OK, without carrying on and on... please see if you can lend me a hand, Thanks
    Chery
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 05:58 PM

First off do you use this laptop on the net ? Because if you do then you have to be very careful of what rights you give to programs. You can remove admin rights entirely but its not recommended if your doing any kind of surfing no matter what virus protection your using. Also its always a good idea to remove old programs before installing new ones just be sure to separate anything you saved from it so it doesn't get deleted.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 18, 2008, 07:11 PM
    I am currently using AVG8 Antivirus program and COMODO Firewall Pro instead of the windows firewall, as this one 'learns' with you and lets me add and edit rules and policies - which I am reading up on, but have not dared to change anything yet until I've read it all and comprehended it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Vista Operating System black screen [ 2 Answers ]

When I went to boot up my computer this morning, it was doing an automatic defrag. It said if I wanted to stop the defrag to hit the ESC button. So I hit the ESC button, then the computer crashed. :( I would like to know if I re-install the Operating System from the CD that came with the...

Windows vista system restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I want to do a system restore but want to create a restore point prior to the current date. It is not like XP where they show a calendar. I have been having trouble with my computer for two weeks and want to know how I go about creating a point for two weeks ago and not today. I hate Vista!

Vista operating system [ 5 Answers ]

All new laptops are offering Vista. Is it too early to buy a new computer considering that many programs and their software are not yet compatible with Vista? Many are still in Beta form. How long should a person wait until Vista is more user friendly?

Revert system from Vista back to XP [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a PC with Vista Home Premium system. I am having many problems tracking down hardware/software updates. Can you advise of any problems in changing to Win xP.

How is age determined? [ 2 Answers ]

In biblical times, how long is a year? And how long is a day? I was wondering how the bible calculated the age of Moses, the ages seem sort of off to me.

View more questions Search