Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boxcarjimmy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Murray rider won't start
    Ive got a fully charged battery, the starter just chugs a little,
    Not enough to start it up, and the red connection at the starter
    Heats up and smokes. Is the starter bad, or do I have electrical problem elsewhere? I think I just replaced the starter last summer.
    Help?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2006, 04:54 AM
    How old is the battery? 2-3 years for a lawn and garden battery is about as useful as they will be.

If its new, is it charged? Have you put a battery charger on it to make sure of such? How are the battery connections? Good and free of corrosion?

IS there any oil on the wire at the starter? THIS will make the connection bad and of course smoke.

What brand engine? Is it a over head valve engine or what? By chugging... does it turn good until it hits a certain point, or just barely moves to start with?

Jun 2, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Hey, thanks for responding so quick.
    I just had the battery tested, its fine and fully charged. 9 months old.
    The connections are good and clean. The starter motor turns a few
    Revs and stops, there's a five second pause then it does it again,
    After several of these thoings start heating up. The positive battery terminal
    Will be hot from the post to the starter. The connection at the starter
    Starts smoking. I tried crossing the terminals of the sloenoid to see
    What happens but it does the same thing.?
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Is it a over head valve engine? When the valves get a little out of adjustment, they will try to stick, or will stick on the compression stroke.

Jun 5, 2006, 05:32 AM
    It's a type 0-225-1, OHV 14.5 hp.
    The funny thing about it is, I have been able to start it in the recent past
    With a fully charged battery, but this time it isn't working, and I know the battery is fully packed.
    ?
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 10:58 AM
    http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faq...ted=1101860144

See if adjusting the valves help.

Jun 5, 2006, 06:27 PM
    :D hey dude, I started to investigate the valves , but before I did,
    I decided to take every electrical connection apart from the battery
    To the starter, clean them real good and tighten everything up,
    And get all the crud out of the way. Damned if it didn't fire right up.
    Oh yeah I took the plug out and cleaned it too.
    So I started mowing the lawn and smelled gas and looked under
    The carb and Id sprung a leak in the float pot! Luckily I know how to
    Fix that. Thanks a lot for your advice.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 10:28 PM
    Exactly where was it coming from, from the fuel bowl? A tiny carb gasket kit, if it's a gasket... for any briggs engine is very cheap. Might find them separate sometimes. Napa has started to carry some briggs parts, Lowe's carrys the regular stuff like starter gears, oil filters or oil.. etc. Napa is heads, head gaskets, coils, and various other tiny things. For any corrosion... mix a little baking soda and water and clean the connections with it, it'll get rid of the acid.

Is the fuel bowl is leaking itself from a hole in it?

Guess I forgot the usual wiggle the connections thing... I've had the fuses pop out from normal bumping around even!

Jun 6, 2006, 04:33 AM
    :o the float pot corroded from rust or whatever and developed a little pin hole. Ezy replacement. (famous last words)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help, about to throw Murray Rider in the bottom of the lake! [ 19 Answers ]

Ok, so I was given this Murray riding lawn mower for free. Guess I found out why. Thought it should have been an easy fix but now I'm so pissed at it. Ive replaced about every damn part and it still won't start. It has an 11hp Briggs and Stratton engine on it. Ive replaced the battery, starter...

Older MTD Rider Won't Start [ 5 Answers ]

I have an older MTD rider with a 12 hp B & S it was serviced at the end of last season and worked fine up till now. The mower started to crank then just stopped. It would only click when turning the key. I tried to jump but no go. I took the battery to be tested it was low but good so they charged...

Murray 11hp won't start, help please... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a little bit older model Murray riding lawnmower with the 11hp B&S engine. Im not sure exactly what year or model, the number I got off the engine and entered into B&S's website said it was not found?? But anyway, I have a brand new battery, power cables, solenoid, key ignition and...

Murray Rider Will Not Start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray Select Ridding Mower model # 425600x8A it will not start? The fuse is fine. The seat switch was disconnected the key switch is on the funny thing is that I disconnected the battery ground side and when I touch the cable to the GR post the engine turns over, but no spark. I noticed...

Murray rider troubles [ 6 Answers ]

I got a free `97 Murray riding lawn mower (42" cut) with a Tecumseh 15.5 engine. All I know is it was given away (to me) because it had been sitting for a while. The previous owners wife (she gave it to me, tired of it just sitting! ) told me the drive belt was toast, and that's why it was parked....

View more questions Search