Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    9Blessings Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Cloudy sandy water trouble
    I have just replaced my shallow well jet pump and motor,(two days ago) and am now experiencing cloudy water with what looks like fine sand. The well is about 40-60 ft deep. I have never needed any filters before. Any ideas on what I should do?

Oct 22, 2008, 04:26 PM

Is it all right if I answer my own question? My father in law suggested that I turn down my main water intake valve , as he thought the pump was drawing water too fast, (thus the sand). Did that, and within 1 hour, the water was clear again. Been that way ever since.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Oct 22, 2008, 05:04 PM

More than likely, you can pump it with unrestricted pressure and get it to clear up. In other words, open up all of the valves and let the pump run with nearly no psi on the pressure gauge. That is how they get a new well to clear up. Sometimes it takes awhile. But, nearly all of them will clear up over time.

Your father in-law had the right idea. However, if you are going to throttle a valve, you have to throttle on the discharge side of the pump. If you throttle on the suction of the pump, you may starve the pump for water and prematurely wear it out.
    Al

Oct 24, 2008, 09:45 AM

Thanks for your comments Al. Will try what you suggested and see how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy water from refrigerator water dispenser [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to troubleshoot/fix cloudy water issue. Water from all faucets, etc. is clear, except from the refrigerator water dispenser. I have detached the refrig. Water supply line and opened the value, and still get cloudy water... so I assume the refrig is not the issue. How do I find the...

Well Water - Fluctuating Pressure & Cloudy Water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All - I live about 30 miles SW of Atlanta, GA, as the crow flies. I have lived in my home since new, which is 5 years now. I have a drilled well that is 125 feet deep, and the well was originally certified at 32 gallons per minute. To date, I have had absolutely no problems with pressure,...

Dirty sandy well water [ 2 Answers ]

Every once and a while our well water gets very diry with fine black sand. It just sems to happen. A day later it returns to clear and all seems all right. The holding tanks are coated with the sand and difficult to clean. Can you tell me what causes this and what I can do to stop it. I am...

Sandy material in water cooled A/C [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a condo where we have water cooled 3 ton heat pumps for each unit. We have a large cooling tower on the roof. Our building is 25 years old and about a quarter mile from the beach in Florida. My A/C shut down yesterday and when I restarted it it did the same after a few minutes. I...

View more questions Search