Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Optimum setting for programmable thermostat
    House: built in 1912, central Ohio. 2 story, 2000 sq ft. w/ newer insulated windows but minimal to no insulation in walls.
    Furnace: 90+ nat. gas forced air, 3 years old, correctly sized.
    Our "comfortable" temp is 69 degrees. How much should this be lowered during day (at work) or night (asleep)? How much would be too much?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 03:36 PM
    There is no real set standard for thermostat settings. Your best bet is to experiment around. Remember when it comes to the heating of your home with gas or oil the lower you set your thermostat the more energy savings. Also a steady state of lower temperature is always best since you have to pay $$$ to reheat the home to a higher temperature.

Years ago before the gas bills were so high I had a 70 year old widow that used to keep her thermostat set on 60 degrees all winter. When I asked her one day while servicing her old oil burner why she kept the temperature so low she answered that it was much cheaper to wear more clothes during the day than to buy more coal. Her father told he that during the depression when she was a young woman.

Many years ago a few of my customers still heated with coal. I remember removing clinkers and replacing sheer keys on many a cold night in the winter.

Many of us have no idea how nice we have it today with all the automatic devices especially the modern furnaces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Programmable Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell thermostat T8624D and now is not working correctly. The thermostat Has four settings, wake, leave, return and sleep. The problem that is that the wake setting stays on rather than defaulting to other time zones i.e. leave , return etc.. Is there a way to completely clear the...

Replacing Analog Thermostat with Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing Analog thermostat with White, Yellow, Red, & Black wiring with non-programmable digital thermostat Model #RTH3100C. Please help!!

Programmable Thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi.. I have the EWC-ST-2D which I want to replace with Programmable Thermostat from Honeywell. The current list of wires are yellow, blue, red, white, green and brown. On the programmable thermostat, I have R, Y, W, G. But where does the Blue and Brown go. I do have Y2 and W2 and C. ...

Programmable Thermostat, Fan runs, Heat/Air do not run in Auto setting [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell, RTH230B. My connections are: R to Rh (red jumper to Rc that came with the unit) W to W Y to Y G to G B to nothing The fan comes on (when set to "on").

View more questions Search