Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevesgurl89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Boss paying each employee different hourly wage
    Hello. I don't know what category this would go into but I think this one may be the best category for the situation I am dealing with.

I found out this week from the people I work with that one of them is getting 9.00 an hour and the others are getting 8.50 an hour, while I am getting 8.00 an hour. I don't know what to do or how to approach my boss about this situation or just to leave the situation alone. Please let me know what I can do about this. I am losing sleep over this and that isn't good.

Thanks,

Megan
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesgurl89 View Post
    Hello. I dont know what category this would go into but i think this one may be the best category for the situation I am dealing with.

I found out this week from the people I work with that one of them is getting 9.00 an hour and the others are getting 8.50 an hour, while I am getting 8.00 an hour. I dont know what to do or how to approach my boss about this situation or just to leave the situation alone. Please let me know what I can do about this. I am losing sleep over this and that isnt good.

Thanks,

Megan
    Hi, Megan!

Some additional information from you would be helpful here. For instance, how long have you worked at the company as compared to the other two people? Also, are you also doing the same kind of jobs, please?

Thanks!
    stevesgurl89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2008, 11:32 AM

I have been there for about a month and the other people who are doing the same job as me have been there for about 2 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 02:46 PM

They can pay people different wages if they want, no rule or law to require it.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 21, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    They can pay people different wages if they want, no rule or law to require it.
    Yep, absolutely correct. If they are paying you what you signed on for there is no issue at all. Do your job to the very best of your abilities and if, after some reasonable period, there is no voluntary increase after you have proved yourself out, then it will be appropriate to ask for a raise based on your performance. Be ready to give evidence of your work warranting the increased pay.

Many employers do NOT like employees inquiring of and having knowledge of other employees' wages, so do not try to use your knowledge as leverage.

Another thought is that, while you may be doing the same job, there may have been differences in the qualifications (whatever they may be) present on the job applications that led management to think that the others might be better workers, at least initially. Just a thought. In any case, the comment above still applies.

The way to get a raise may end up being getting a new job, but do NOT be a job hopper. People who frequently hop from job to job are not respected by prospective employers. Give this job a reasonable chance before making that type of decision.

Good luck!

Good luck.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Dec 15, 2008, 08:13 AM

There is a better way to go about this. Go to your boss and ask: "What do I need to do to make more money?", "Do I need to come in an hour early?","Do I need to become moe efficient?","Please tell me exactly what it is I have to do."

Employers won't give a raise if they don't have to, espeically after the fact. Which means if you are already doing a find job for $8 per hour, what is their incentive to give you a raise for the same amount of work?

Don't assume your work will be noticed and they will reward you for it. You need to pin them down on what it will take to get a raise or a promotion and then do the things they said in addition to what you are doing now, then go back to them and say, I've done what you asked for 3 months now; are you able to give me that raise now. Then when they give you the raise you again ask the question; "now what do I have to do to make more money"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary hours vs hourly employee [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a difference between the hours that a salary employee works? Hourly is from 8-9 and salary is 40 hours (does not matter what time frame)?

Hourly rate of a salaried employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to figure out an employee's hourly rate by taking his total income from last year, and divide or multiply it by 52 and times or divide by 12... HELP I can't figure out the math... :eek:

Hourly employee loses hours [ 1 Answers ]

If an hourly employee is required to attend a training session and the session ends earlier than their normal work day hours, what is normal pay practice; pay them for their normal work day hours or only the hours they attended the training session?

NYS IT-203-B NY nonresident wage allocation hourly employee [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time NY employee paid on an hourly basis and live in NJ. Based on how I have read the NY tax publication for IT-203-B, I can still allocate the salary such that I exclude weekends, vacation days, holidays and sick days. However, it seems that this strategy goes around the "spirit" of...

Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.

View more questions Search