Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heffley001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Floor drain syphon break
    My floor drain is 12" off the floor. How important is it to install a syphon break when hooking up my new washing machine
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Oct 19, 2008, 07:17 AM
    If your floor drain is 12" above the floor it's not a floor drain. Most drains for a residential washing machine will be roughed in at 12" above the floor and then using a short pipe nipple and a trap you bring a stand pipe up past the washing machine and then hang your hose in there. Yes, by code they want a separation from the hose to the pipe and you can buy a special little plastic piece to do that but most people just put the hose inside the pipe and sometimes the just hang it over the side of a laundry sink basin. The one thing you need to know is that it is secure and doesn’t come away from the point of entry and create a flood. That would be bad. So if that is a concern be sure to secure the hose firmly to the drain.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 08:19 AM

I am little confused with your terminology. Can you describe your situation in different way ? Perhaps, take photo and post it ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heffley001 View Post
    My floor drain is 12" off the floor. How important is it to install a syphon break when hooking up my new washing machine
    I'm thinking a washer stand pipe that should be increased by at least 2 feet.
    Let's trade the term "siphon break" for "air gap" or "indirect waste".
    When you hang the washer hose over the pipe you have just made a "siphon break" so you need have no concern. Good luck and add a couplingt and a 2 foot piece to the pipe. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor drain conversion to sink drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 4" floor drain in a concrete slab. What's the easiest way to convert it for use as a sink drain? Does the sink need a trap since the floor drain has one? Thanks, Matt

Can a toilet and a floor drain share a drain line? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Right now we have a main 4" cast iron sewer pipe running under our basement floor. The very last fixture on the run is a toilet. Can I remove the toilet, replace the final 90 degree elbow with a tee and replace the toilet in the same place, then extend the line a couple feet further and...

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search