Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Acorn and SCOTUS
    What's this I'm hearing? Did the SCOTUS really decline to force the AG of Ohio to verify 200,000 new suspect voter registrations? Most were submitted by ACORN, it seems. Have we reached the place when a partisan AG and Governor can support voter fraud in order for their guy to be elected, and NOT be slammed down by our highest court? I certainly hope for all our sakes there is something I'm not hearing here!
    What we are seeing being attempted by ACORN is nothins short of revolution! It is an attempt to destroy rule of law by circumventing the honest exercise of the vote! This is something you might expect in a bannanna republic.
    Do you think your candidate will benefit from this subersive tactic? Do you care?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 17, 2008, 05:04 PM

My liberal side is saying "so what!"

There are more issues like:

Gonzo firing lawyers,
    Or Bush listening in on my telephone conversation,
    Or global warming, for example. ;)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 02:07 AM

666,000 new registrations since the 1st of the year. Sec State Brunner herself admitted there were problems with 200,000 of them.An amazing degree of fraud !

SCOTUS ruled on a technicality and not the issue itself.They said a private organization has no standing to sue so it needs to be resubmitted . A county official or a state official or a citizen can bring the case.Someone should do so immediately .SCOTUS has no choice but to rule this way.

The state GOP had complained that the Ohio Secretary of State had violated her duty, under federal election procedures law, to share with county election boards the lists of voters whose names in a voter registration database do not match data in the state's drivers' license files. The GOP argued that the secretary of state had put a stop to required efforts to pass along the non-matching data so that local election officials could deal with it. Lack of matches could be the basis for challenges.
    The Supreme Court said it was not expressing any opinion on whether the state official had violated any duty under federal law. But, it said, it was not persuaded that the federal law gives a private party — like the state GOP — a right to go to court to enforce those provisions in the Help America Vote Act.
    Under that act, voters whose eligibility is challenged at the polls may have to file proveisional ballots, which would be counted only if their right to vote had been verified. Because Democrats have succeeded widely in efforts to register voters, it was generally assumed that such challenges in this election cycle would fall more heavily on that party than on the GOP. Tens of thousands of registrations might have been put in issue.
    The Supreme Court, acting on the case after the Circuit Justice, Justice John Paul Stevens referred the matter to the full bench, not only granted the secretary of state's plea to stay the federal judge's temporary restraining order, but actually vacated it, thus removing any legal obligation spelled out in that order.
    Court blocks Ohio voter match order | SCOTUSblog

I'm not sure I agree that the state GOP did not have standing but you would think their lawyers would have known the details and would've found a proper plaintiff. That should be taught in LAW 101 . Their lawyer was incompetent.

Oct 18, 2008, 07:05 PM

Let's hope they get it corrected yesterday!
    Hey In, Clinton fired more attorneys. NO PROBLEM!
    You are not important enough for Bush to listen in on any of your conversatins, unless you are calling a suspected terrorist in the Middle East.?
    It is a myth that humans are causing climate change. Pure hokum promoted to make Al Gore et al even richer.

Oct 18, 2008, 07:06 PM

I hope you don't think I really have a liberal side :D
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 20, 2008, 06:49 AM

The appellate court in Ohio ordered the governor to confirm and correct the voter registrations and eliminate the fraudulent registrations by last Friday. The governor and Sec State of Ohio argued to SCOTUS that they didn't have enough time to fix the problem by Friday. So SCOTUS' decision in a 5-4 decision (big shock there) was to allow the registrations to stand as they are.

In other words, it's okay to cheat and commit fraud as long as you can argue that you don't have time to fix the fraud when it is discovered.

If SCOTUS truly believed that it was simply a matter of not having enough time to fix the problem, they could have given them another week to fix it, or even two weeks. There would still be enough time before the election to handle things properly. Instead the governor of Ohio said "let us cheat" and SCOTUS said "OK".

This was a clearly partisan decision by the court.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    What we are seeing being attempted by ACORN is nothins short of revolution! Do you care?
    Hello Gal:

Do I care? Not much.

If ACORN is attempting to influence the vote toward THEIR candidate, suppressing ACORN is an attempt to influence the vote towards the OTHER candidate.

You call it revolution. I call it a wash.

excon

Oct 20, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Gal:

Do I care? Not much.

If ACORN is attempting to influence the vote toward THEIR candidate, suppressing ACORN is an attempt to influence the vote towards the OTHER candidate.

excon
    And where is your evidence that the Republicans have been involved in any form of registration or voter fraud? If there were even a HINT of it we would hear nothing else from now till election day!!

In case you missed it, voter registration fraud is a CRIME.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Hello Gal:

You should know better than to argue with me. And, when you do, if you're going to quote what I say, you should actually quote what I say - not what you THINK I say... Because I'm very careful with the words I use. I'm not very sloppy in that regard... Besides, it's all here for everybody to see.

If you'll notice, I didn't say that Republicans are involved in voter fraud. I DID say that Republicans Suppress ACORN.

My logic is quite simple really. I'm certain that it's dawned on the Republicans. As a matter of fact, that's exactly WHY you're hearing so much stuff about ACORN - because those Republicans disseminating this information and I AGREE.

ACORN registers voters - 99% of whom are DEMOCRATS. Ergo, suppress ACORN, and you suppress DEMOCRATS from voting... It AIN'T rocket science...

However, to a partisan who believes that his side is good and the other side is bad, I'm sure you'll believe that ACORN is trying to STEAL the election from you... And, it's only through the efforts of those sharp eyed, God fearing Republicans that they're being exposed...

You deserve a Bwa, ha ha ha ha.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 02:36 AM
    And where is your evidence that the Republicans have been involved in any form of registration or voter fraud? If there were even a HINT of it we would hear nothing else from now till election day!!

In case you missed it, voter registration fraud is a CRIME.
    Right on cue Gal:

Voters say they were duped into registering as Republicans - Los Angeles Times

Head of California GOP voter registration outfit charged with voter registration fraud, according to CA Sec. of State's office. The firm, YPM, also under investigation in several states for allegedly illegally switching thousands of registrations from Democratic to Republican.
    Also

The BRAD BLOG : BREAKING: CA GOP Vote Registration Contractor Arrested for Registration Fraud, Perjury

Good luck with your argument Gal.

Oct 21, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Hello Gal:

Do I care? Not much.

excon
    It is not about one candidate or party or another

this is about voter fraud and the fact that Obama has ties to ACORN

CRL Testimony on ACORN's Voter Fraud - MarketWatch

"ACORN routinely says it will clean up its act. Yet, given its decade-long history of voter fraud, embezzlement, and misuses of taxpayer funds, ACORN's pattern of fraud can no longer be dismissed as a series of 'unfortunate events."

And EX, you do not care :confused: :eek::(

Oct 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
    And your proof of such is a BLOG?

But it makes no differenece in what I said. Whoever did it has committed a crime.

What part of CRIME do you guys not understand?

Just when I was beginning to think you might be smart, too.:D
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:08 PM
    And your proof of such is a BLOG?
    Los Angeles Times. Try reading.
    paulieone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 05:16 PM

Didn't McCain give the keynote address to an accorn assembly in 2007?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    My liberal side is saying "so what!"

There are more issues like:

Gonzo firing lawyers,
    Or Bush listening in on my telephone conversation,
    Or global warming, for example. ;)
    Why in the world would the President of the United States of America want to listen into one of your phone conversations?

As far as the global warming I think you need to take that up with a higher power or just live through the cycle of the time.

Oct 22, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Hello Gal:

Do I care? Not much.

excon
    You've got to be the only guy on this thread who would say that making ACORN stay within the law is suppressing the ACORN vote.

Oct 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    Why in the world would the President of the United States of America want to listen into one of your phone conversations?.

As far as the global warming I think you need to take that up with a higher power or just live through the cycle of the time.

Wow, what I said was in sarcasm or satire. :)

See how weird it is for me to state the POTUS listening on my conversation, yet this is exactly how the left argues against the patriot act. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Wow, what I said was in sarcasm or satire. :)

See how weird it is for me to state the POTUS listening on my conversation, yet this is exactly how the left argues against the patriot act. :)
    Just out of curiosity, who exactly does say that the president listens on individual telephone conversations due to the patriot act?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Quote: Wow, what I said was in sarcasm or satire.

See how weird it is for me to state the POTUS listening on my conversation, yet this is exactly how the left argues against the patriot act. __________________________________________________ ________________

I am not the left and if I argue I will argue on the side of the patriot act. For I believe this country is in grave danger and our government need to know any and all plots to do this country harm.

The comment I made about the POTUS wanting to listen to your phone conversations was because all of the individuals in this country that got on to the Presidends back about taking away our rights to privacy. I believe that plotting another (9-11) is anything at all that could be called a right to privacy.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    The comment I made about the POTUS wanting to listen to your phone conversations was because all of the individuals in this country that got on to the Presidends back about taking away our rights to privacy.
    He signs the orders to make these things laws. He also has the power to repeal them. No one ever actually believed that he listened to phone calls.

You can rread more about that controversil act and why people have issues with it:
    USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Controversial invocations of the USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NPR: The Patriot Act: Key Controversies

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

According to ACORN . [ 55 Answers ]

... Voter-registration can't be totally fraud-free. Voter-registration can't be totally fraud-free, group says - Cleveland.com This astonishing admission comes after the FBI raid in Nevada that Steve linked to in another posting . Tony Romo ,Terrell Owens get to vote twice it seems. ...

More SCOTUS decisions [ 24 Answers ]

Chief Justice Roberts said, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." Wasn't that refreshing? Clarence Thomas added, "What was wrong in 1954 cannot be right today... The plans before us base school assignment decisions on students'...

View more questions Search