Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danni2123 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2008, 01:31 PM
    6 days late; 3 negative tests
    I was just wondering what my chances are of being pregnant. I was due for my period on the 12 still nothing. I've taking 3 tests and they were all negative. Should I go to my doc and get a blood test? I've been trying to get pregnant.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 02:24 PM

Ease your mind and go to your doctor and have a proper examination and pregnant. Test.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 06:14 PM
    If you get a test done, I suggest going to the hospital and getting a qualatative blood test done, as the hpt's at the docs office are the same tests you can buy at the store yourself.(and the blood tests are often the same price as hpts, typically around $11) These blood tests are more accurate, but not without a margin of error.
    Now, being 6 days late isn't incredibly late(even if you are usually on time). Our hormones are always throwing us through loops. A pregnancy test measures the amount of hcg in your system. If there is not enough hcg built up in your system to register on a test, you will get a false negative, even though you could be pregnant. For this reason, its usually suggested to wait to test until you are atleastone week late, as this will give your body more time for the hcg (pregnancy hormone) to build up in your system. Also using first morning urine will give you a more concentrated level of it, for it to register more clearly.
    If you wanted to go to the doc, they could do an exam on you and look for the physical signs of pregnancy, such as the blueish purple tinge to the vaginal/cervical area(due to increased blood flow) and an enlarged uterus. However these are more clearly defined when farther into the pregnancy.
    While it could be possible that you are pregnant, and your hcg levels simply aren't high enough to register on an hpt yet, it is also possible that you are simply late, or even missing a cycle(which is also not uncommon.)
    So, I would suggest since you have already tested a few times with hpts, try a blood test. If nothing shows, then wait for your next period. If you miss it, re-test. If the test is still negative, then it is definitely time to see your doctor.
    Best of luck

Oct 18, 2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have a doc app on Monday for a blood test. I'm hoping that it positive!
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Keep us updated! Good luck

Oct 20, 2008, 04:09 PM

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I went to the doc today for a blood test. I will know tomorrow 4 sure!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Good luck let us know
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:37 PM

Just read this post! Can't add anymore info but would like to wish you luck!!

Oct 21, 2008, 05:53 PM

I'm still waiting... hopefully they will have the results 2morrw. I'm just excited and want to know!

Oct 22, 2008, 10:08 PM

Hey everyone the blood test came back negative. I'm sad but if I don't start in 10 days they said to take another test.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Sorry to hear. Good luck to you. Remember that these tests are not without error. However, it could easily be that you aren't pregnant as well. Try to relax, and not stress about it too much. If you aren't pregnant, it will only delay your period and get your hopes up more.and if you are pregnant, it won't help you find out any sooner, so just try to not stress.. keep us updated
    blinkette182 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 07:37 AM

Hi everyone.. I'm new to this site but need some help or advice
    Im 22 years old and been married for 2 months on the 29th of October. Im from the uk as well ( I think I'm the only one on here lol)
    Anyway... we have been Trying to conceive since before the wedding and I desperatley want a baby. I have not been stressed, not since the wedding anyway lol.. and I'm relatively healthy.we had sex around the time I was ovulating sept 25 and my last period was due 8th October its now the 27th of October and no period.. as soon as my period didn't arrive on the day I went out a brought a clear blue test and it came back negative..
    Since then I have been doing at least 2 tests a week. I'm due on next the 5th of November and if this period doesn't come itill be the second one I have missed..
    I've had slight naseua and back ache feeling really tired and awful mood swings the worst I've ever had I can be laughing one min and crying my eyes out the next.
    I know that stress can cause a period to not arrive but I wasn't stressed until my period was late I was just taking it as it come.. I feel different in myself and feel like I'm pregnant.
    It's the not knowing that is killing me and I just need to know one way or the other I'm always fairly regular.. give or take 2 days and around 28-30 days cycle.. I want this so much and I'm so confused.. please someone tell me what to do.. I don't think I can deal with another negative and still no period. This has never happened before
    Any help you can give would be appreciated
    Thanks Candy xxxxxxxx
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 08:56 AM
    My advice... stop testing until you miss you next period. I know it is hard to wait in uncertainty, esp when you want it so badly... but taking test after negative. Test, it is not only hard on your wallet,but very hard on you emotionally. I use to do the same thing when trying for our second son. We tried for a year before finally concieving again. I must have bought 20+ different tests in that time frame... PRICEY,not to mention how heartbroken and depressed I got with each negative. When I did finally get a positive result, we had stopped trying to conceive, deciding it would come when it came, andI was late, I didn't think it would be pregnancy, and I was in shock when I saw the positive result, having to check the test several times ot make sure it was real, even testing a few more times to confirm... all because I got so use to seeing that darned negative, and pretty much given up. Back then I didn't realize that it takes most healthy couples at least one year of actively trying to conceive, before they actually get pregnant. Not to mention if you have been on a form of birth control other then condoms, where the BC is in your system, and your body has to completely flush it out, before you can think of conception.(for example, the pill takes at least 3 months to get out of your system. The shot can take up to 18 months to get out of your system, etc) And when you are wanting something so badly, you can actually trick your body into thinking it is pregnant, and that makes it hard for you to actually get pregnant then.
    So here's my advice. Wait for your next period. If it doesn't come, skip testing and go straight to your doctor. The testing they do in office will be the same tests that you can buy at the store, so you might as well just take it at the doc office and pay for only one. They may also want to perform a blood test on you at this point, as well as give you a physical exam. It could be that you are pregnant, and your hcg levels simply aren't high enough to register on hpts (by the way, taking your tests first thing in the morning will give you a clearer answer, as the hcg-if any- is more concentrated in your system having collected all night in your bladder) OR it could be that you are simply late. Sometimes our bodies throw us through a loop. I was once two months late for no reason, and started right back up like norml the next month. Or it could be a few other things... either way, missing two periods in a row is call for a visit to the doctor, no matter the reasoning behind it. Good luck to you, and please keep us updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 days late 2 negative tests [ 2 Answers ]

Im 6 days late for my period... I have taken 2 pregnancies tests and they are both negative... I do not want to have another child right now. I am a mom of a 6year old girl and a 8mos old boy. I am 24. I have no signs of pregnancy or that my period is going to start. However I do have a ton of...

So I am 13 days late and three negative tests later [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so my husband and I are trying to have a baby. I am 13 days late. I am not normally late. I am always on time but its usually really long. I have taken 3 test all came back negative. I feel pregnant and have had some symptoms. I am not sure what is going on. I have a dr's appt on the 31st. I...

5 days late - 2 negative tests what's going on? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there... So me and my boyfriend decided I would stop taking because to start to think about trying for a baby. So I took my last pill on sat 9th feb and had my normal break period starting tues 12th lasting my normal 4 days end on the fri (15th). We have been having unprotected sex since...

10 days late, Tests Still negative.What? [ 1 Answers ]

im 19 yrs old..i took my nuva ring out on jan 7th 2008 and got a small period on janurary 10th. i am 10 days late of getting my period on the 10th of feburary i had some spotting for 1 day but no period...but alllllll the many tests ive taken say negative, im not stressed what so ever, andi have no...

Period 8 days late, 3 negative tests. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 20 years old, I've been sexually active but very careful. My boyfriend and I always use condoms. I just got off a medication, 2 weeks ago was finals week and now the past week I've been freaking out and crying everyday. I've never been late I've taken 3 tests and they were all...

View more questions Search