Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronbworld Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Loud buzz in CB panel when A/C turns on
    Each time my central A/C turns on, there is a loud buzz for less than a second from the CB panel, then the A/C comes on and runs just fine. The A/C is a new unit, but I recall hearing the buzz with my old unit for many years and thought it was related to that. I have 200A service but the panel was installed in the 70's.
    I had the cover off and when the A/C turns on I don't see or smell anything.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2006, 01:32 PM
    The buzzing is coming from inside the circuit breaker, and it most likely will fail someday. Either replace it yourself, or have a tech come on to replace it.

If you replace it yourself, you should shut off the main so the bus bar the breaker needs to plug onto is dead. ANy new circuit brekaer must be HACR rated, which will be stamped on the new breaker. Most brands are all rated, just make sure.
    ronbworld Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Thanks for the advice. It was an easy fix. I just needed the information and encouragement that I was doing the right thing.
    ElectricMan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 01:38 PM
    What Brand Of Electrical Panel is It?
    rjcamacho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 02:02 PM
    This is call wire whip. 2 things I need to know where is the 2 pole breaker located in the panel and the wires are bunched up in the emt and need to be twisted together. If your 2 pole breaker is not installed in the top part of the panel underneath the main. It pulls a lot o amperage on start up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transformer buzz on heat pump [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new heat pump/furnace/airconditioner installed (Trane) and you can hear the "buzz" of the transformer on the outside unit all of the time. Our old unit did this, but I always assumed it was because it was getting old and something was wrong. Is this normal? And why is the...

Kenmore dryer 96284810 buzz [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: kenmore dryer with buzzing sound even before pressing start button , once th door is closed.

Loud buzz when central A/C starts [ 1 Answers ]

Each time my central A/C starts, there is a loud buzz for 1 second. The unit is new and works fine - just wondering if this is unusual. I've been told its probably the relay sending power out to the outside condenser. Anyone else familiar with this?

What turns me on! [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best FREEEEE! Web site where you can watch free clips/movies of lesbians kissing and is free of spyware. I want to know because when I watch lesbians making out it really turns me onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! So I want to know the best web site to watch for freeee!! ;) :) :) :D

Lights with dimmer switches buzz [ 2 Answers ]

The lights in our house that are controlled with dimmer switches all seem to have a faint buzzing sound when turned on. Does anyone know why this is?

View more questions Search