Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Norm837 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Building Codes for Metal Studs
    I am thinking about framing my basement with metal studs. I live in Frankin Township, located in Chester County Pennsylvania and am trying to find the residential building codes to determine if metal studs can be used and then what the wiring requirements are. Can someone answer my questions or direct me to a website(s) to find the answers. Thanks.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 17, 2008, 09:57 AM

Why metal studs and not wood? I'm sure they could be used without any code violations except for the base plate, that should be treated wood if it is on concrete. Check with your local building department in Chester County for other requirements, you'll need a permit for this work. A electrician should be able to tell you what the wiring requirements are, and your inspector will let you know if he did it to code.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2008, 11:39 AM

I can say that any wire passing through the metal studs must have a grommet which are designed particularly for this application.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I can say that any wire passing through the metal studs must have a grommet which are designed particularly for this application.
    Yeah, I looked at that solution when I designed my building but my electrician insisted on BX wiring, no room for error or poor workmanship. Cost more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

I like matal studs better than wood, they are always straight and true, they don't shrink, warp and twist, you can load a lot into a pickup, they take up less storage, they are easier than wood to schlep around, they are quicker to install,(for me anyway), and you can use a cordless drill to build and dismantle. Pay a bit extra for the heavy ones, and full 2" track.
    boblingle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Metal studs are way faster... you build them in place. If there is a mistake, you can remove part of the wall... also, there are holes in place for wires, water lines, gas lines, ETC. With the proper grommet.

I do this for a living, but even for a homeowner, it is an easy system. Cost is relatively the same, but it goes up quicker, is straight. Like a person before me, it does not warp, or mold.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2009, 03:23 PM

I hate working with metal studs... especially when hanging the drywall. Whatever your preference, I WOULD NEVER PUT METAL STUDS IN A BASEMENT! It may not warp or encourage mold, but all it takes is one water problem and say hello to Mr. Rust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulate in metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

I studded the outside walls in my attached house. Would I use duct tape to hold the insulation to the metal studs before rock?

Metal or wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Which is better in building a house wood or metal studs in the basement?

Metal studs vs. Wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?

Framing with metal studs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to build a wall with 2 door openings using metal studs. How do you frame for the door openings? Is it necessary to use wood in the opening? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

View more questions Search