Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Oct 17, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Insulating Garage
    I have a 28 x 18 garage/ shop which is basically just studs... Im wondering what would be the easiest and cheapest way to insulate it so I could do some work in the shop this winter... I would be using electric style heat due to insurance purposes... I was thinking plywood walls and ceiling... Heres a few pics, let me know what you think...

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=2&u=13136234

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=13136234
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 17, 2008, 09:42 AM

Cheapest insulation would be batt insulation. I'd go with drywall before plywood, easier to work with and cheaper. If your concerned about banging up the drywall use plywood on the bottom 4 feet of the walls.

Oct 17, 2008, 02:59 PM

So, should I build a flat roof and insulate or insulate up to the peak... and have no flat roof?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 20, 2008, 06:40 AM

Do you mean build a ceiling or not? If so, it would help keep the heat from rising up in the rafter space.

Oct 20, 2008, 07:11 AM

Yes, that's what I meant... "build a ceiling" I would have to add some more ceiling joists, I think the few that are there now are about 8 feet apart from each other... And I'm not even sure about walking on the ones up there already...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oven insulating? [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a whirlpool single wall oven and have had it sat in my kitchen waiting for install for about 4 months. My cabinets arrive tomorrow and the oven cabinet has specific instructions that suggest I need to insulate the oven to prevent discoloration. Does this mean that my oven isn't insulated...

Insulating new cement garage floor [ 8 Answers ]

We are going to build a 3 stall garage attached to the house by a breezeway. The ground level had to be built up 4' to match house entry level. The footings have been poured and the interior area filled with sand/gravel. The exterior footing wall banked with clay/dirt mix. The footings were not...

Insulating Basement [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any alternatives to insulating a basement with cement walls besides insulating all the walls with 3 inch fiberglass?

Insulating my garage [ 1 Answers ]

Does the gap at the bottom of the garage between the sheet rock and floor could be sealed with a foam sealer or would that create moisture to build up in my wall. I'm planning on sealing the gap and laying base boards at the bottom of the wall to create that finished look.

Insulating Pipes? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I recently moved to the Foothills at about 3000' elevation. We get a "dusting" of snow but not a lot, but the temps are MUCH colder here, than in the Valley. Our house is a small 825 SQ FT. All the exposed water pipes are insulated with foam wrap. All the copper pipe underneath the...

View more questions Search