Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyttre Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Generator troubleshooting
    I have a kohler 7000 watt generator that ran when I bought it. It is a lp generator. I brought it on a trip and it would not start. It won't even turn over. I bypassed the solenoid and took power right to the starter, she cranks but will not start. I tried a new solenoid and nothing again. Changed spark plugs as well. Any thoughts would help
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 08:20 PM

You have to approach this like any other engine:

I'm a little confused. Cranking is one thing. This is usually a bad battery
    Initial test is a jump.

Next you have to look at fuel, air and spark and safeties such as low oil pressure. Don't know if low oil pressure will prevent cracking. It may.

Oct 17, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nyttre View Post
    i have a kohler 7000 watt generator that ran when i bought it. it is a lp generator. i brought it on a trip and it would not start. it won't even turn over. i bypassed the solenoid and took power right to the starter, she cranks but will not start. i tried a new solenoid and nothing again. changed spark plugs as well. any thoughts would help
    Battery is not too old and fully charged. It's a kohler generator. I think it is something electrical but I don't want start buying parts if they are not a problem. And as far as cranking over, when I put power to the starter it engages with the flywheel and starts turning but will not start any help would be great
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2008, 11:35 AM

"putting power to the starter" means, you did not use the normal way of starting the engine, right?

Does it have oil?

Is there a diagram on line for this generator?

You have eliminated the starter, but you did not eliminate the battery. A battery jump would help to do that.

Oct 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    "putting power to the starter" means, you did not use the normal way of starting the engine, right?

Does it have oil?

Is there a diagram on line for this generator?

You have eliminated the starter, but you did not eliminate the battery. A battery jump would help to do that.
    It has plenty of oil and I tried jumping the battery from my truck, still nothing. I have not been able to find any diagrams online. It is a kohler confidant 7
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2008, 12:16 PM

They do appear to be receptive with information. I'd give them a call. I found this:

Kohler Power: Technical Documents: Technical Library: Industrial Generators

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basic troubleshooting [ 3 Answers ]

What r the things that I must go through when internet is not running in the proxy server

Ceiling Fan Troubleshooting [ 6 Answers ]

I just removed one ceiling fan w/light and replaced it with another. The new ceiling fan will not work but the attached light kit does work. They use the same power source, I don't understand what the trouble could be. The fan is a brand new lower end Hunter. Thanks for any ideas.

Troubleshooting. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to trouble shoot an older computer I inherited. I am completely new to PCs. At any rate it has two problems that are possibly relateed. 1. The image the monitor (I have tried 2 different working monitors) has a bunch of red (sometimes grey) vertical lines across the screen which...

Troubleshooting guides on IE [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, what are the fast workarounds in troublehooting slow internet connections? Because work stations here as much as possible need not to be restarted.. aside from freeing the memory cache and disk clean up, what are the workarounds for solving PC slowing downs for critical workstations?...

Second HD troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, here's the skinny... Intstalled my girlfriend's HD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD) onto my computer as a 2nd HD(slave). All jumpers are set correctly, all cables are correct (not the 1st time I've done this). Everything works fine, it's detected and I do have access to it. ...

View more questions Search