Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swinger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Tax implications of renting an apt in NJ vs NY??
    Hi,
    What are the tax implications of renting an apartment in NY vs NJ?

(1) I will be working for a firm based in Manhattan.
    (2) Assuming my salary+bonus will be near 135K/yr

I believe if I live in NY - I will have to pay federal, NY state, and NY city tax. If I live in NJ - I will have to pay federal, NY commuter tax, and NJ tax (with some credit for commuter tax paid to NY).

For my situation, what is the incremental tax I will pay if I choose to live in NY city vs if I live in NJ?? (I am looking for a rough number.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Your NY tax will completely offset your NJ tax liability. Your NY tax liability will be $9,181 (based on SINGLE filing status) if you live in NJ and work in NY. Maintaining an apartment in NY does NOT make you liable for NYC taxes.

If you live in NY and do NOT live in NJ at all, add $4,644 to your tax liability.
    Swinger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Your NY tax will completely offset your NJ tax liability. Your NY tax liability will be $9,181 (based on SINGLE filing status) if you live in NJ and work in NY. Maintaining an apartment in NY does NOT make you liable for NYC taxes.

If you live in NY and do NOT live in NJ at all, add $4,644 to your tax liability.

Where is this $4,644 figure coming from? Also, where is $9,181 coming from?
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2006, 08:42 PM
    The $9,181 is a basic NY state tax computations on $135K income.

The $4,644 is for NYC taxes.

Relatively easy to do with tax software. Figures are for 2005.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting in USA at 18y/o [ 3 Answers ]

I am only 18 and I want to rent a car in america. Ideally in Florida. In most states the minimum age is 21, what do you think is the best way of renting a car, so that I can drive around Florida. Are there any places that I would be able to rent a car at 18. Thnanks in advance!

Tax implications of 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

My son has had a paper route for the past 2 years and the income has always reported on his SSN as 1099 income. The newpaper company is changing policies and will no longer hire minors. If I put the route in my name and receive a 1099 for the income and the issue a 1099 to my son paying him the...

Renting tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine the feasibility of renting the house I own, given the tax/mortgage implications. Any help here would be appreciated! -I live in the state of MA. I believe I would have to pay tax on my rental income, could someone provide more details on that? e.g. my current monthly...

View more questions Search