Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prelude4ws Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
    93 Prelude 4ws starts up and shuts off
    I was driving home last night and out of the blue my guages and all of my dash lights started going on and off. During all of this the car itself was still driving fine, up until I came to a stop sign. The car shut off and wouldn't start again.

When I try starting the car it starts up without a problem but shuts down as soon as I let the key go. If I hold the key in the "START" position it keeps running but the 4WS and ABS lights stay on.

When the key is in the "ON" position everything works (radio, sunroof, windows) but none of the lights on the dash come on. However, when I turn the key back about 1 millimeter (still in the "ON" position) everything comes on.

Somewhere in between the "ON" and "START" position the car shuts off. I assume the problem is in the ignition switch but any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

Alex
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 01:55 PM

Yes, you need to replace the ignition switch. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

Oct 16, 2008, 02:25 PM

Ok, that all makes sense except one thing. I don't have two screws that hold the switch, they are more like pins. How do I take those out?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 04:18 PM

I'm unfamiliar with that setup and can't advise from afar. If you buy the replacement switch, it may help you figure out what needs to be done.

Oct 16, 2008, 06:41 PM

I figured it out, I just drilled them out. I got the lock and switch out. Now Im just waiting for the switch to come in.

Thanks a lot for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C comes on for 3 seconds, shuts off & then starts up again [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new home and noticed that each time the A/C comes on it starts up for about 3 seconds, shuts off, then starts up again. This second start-up is when it stays on until the desired temperature is reached. I have a Honeywell SuperStat thermostat that is about four years old and...

89 honda lxi starts then shuts down. [ 1 Answers ]

89 honda lxi fuel injected. Will start then shuts down. After several attempts it will run. Annoying to say the least. What's the cause?

When AC Starts Furnace Fan Shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Clare OLB 503RD Furnace with Coleman Central Air Unit. The AC Unit comes on outside and the furnace fan shuts down. AC freezes up. Is there a relay or motor control on the fan that has failed

MTD mower starts great and then shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

My riding mower starts up great and then shuts off after 30 seconds the fuel is running through the line fine The problem started while I was mowing and now I can't use it What might the problem be and what parts do I need to fix it

My PC Starts, then shuts down [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, OK just put a new motherboard in & cpu & basically it boots for about 5-10 seconds then shuts down again, getting shorter each time unless I leave it while any ideas Thanks

View more questions Search