Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 08:53 AM
    95 ranger hard to shift
    I have a 95 Ford Ranger 5sp manual that is becoming hard to shift. Specialy when I first head out in the morning. Takes a little wiggling the shifter around and a little force to get it in first gear. The other gears aren't as bad once I get to going, but still takes a little force. It has 172k on it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 09:03 AM

Try Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid, which should help a lot. Also, try easing the transmission into first gear, just before coming to a stop--it's much easier on the synchros.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2008, 09:04 AM

Ranger 5 speed transmissions are not noted for being the strongest in the world. Probably needs rebuilding. My Co ranger needed rebuild at about 95K. And I was the only driver and did not work it hard. Could also be clutch going south.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brakes 01 Ranger [ 1 Answers ]

I hear a sqealing noise from my brakes. I have inspected all and see nothing that could be causing this. Rotors are good and pads were replaced 25,000 mi ago and are good. Any ideas?

92 ranger won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 92 ford ranger with a 4 cylinder Distributorless ignition. It has gotten to where it just cranks and doesn't fire. Changed plugs and wires and still nothing. Any easy way to check the coil packs to see if they are bad? Or what else could it be?

92 Ford Ranger 2.3L [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone, what problems does the Check Engine light going on usually indicate? I was coming home tonight, about an hour highway drive and the light momentarily came on, then off, on and off. Not a flicker, but for several minutes at a time. Truck is VERy reliable and there is no indication that...

My ford 2.3 in a 91 ranger [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys my problem is that I just swaped out a 2.3 for another 2.3 and when it runs it idles fine for a little bit then it seems like starts to miss then boggs out and dies and back fires like a cannon so bad it blew a brand new muffler out of round it kind of seems like it gets a rich smell of...

View more questions Search