Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    united we stand Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Can child support place a lien on joint bank accounts
    Hi, I have a child support order that is current and being paid weekly through my job. The payments are made on time. I had a stint of unemployment that lasted approximately two months. I did not have enough weeks of employment to qualify for compensation,so I really hit the job market to find work. Once I found work I informed the child support agency of my new employer and made the proper arrangements to have the court order in place. Everything was fine until today when I was informed that my bank account would be frozen. My question is can having a joint account avoid this kind of action in the future.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:55 PM

No. If your name is on the account it doesn't matter if there are thirteen other account holders they can still put a lien on it. The only way to prevent this in the future is to stay current with your support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 07:33 AM

Anything held jointly is all yours and also all the other person's - so the entire account can be liened for a debt of either one of you.
    shannonmazur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
    My husband and I have a joint bank account we had a little over 18,000.00 in it the state of Illinois put a lien on it and took all but 440.00 I was on public assistance YEARS ago my 17 son isn't even on the order that's how old the order is... My husband was told he owed over 50,000.00 in support I wrote a letter to springfield and they wrote off most of the debt my question is.. Can they just take all of our money without giving us a chance to answer this lien my husband was being garnished and they were sending the money right back to him saying it was an overpayment for over 2 yrs now. Since we've received paperwork from C>A>R>U> with dates covered in white out just a little suspicious we need some advice and since they took all of our funds we are kindof in a bind I may hafto go back to welfare!! Please help if you can shannon mazur ty
    [email protected]
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
    You have to file a wrongful levy action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on bank account for child support [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.

Lien placed on bank account for back child support payments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about removing a lien placed on a bank account for back child support?

I won a case, how do I place a bank lien. [ 4 Answers ]

I went to the defendants banking institute (I don't have his account #) and showed them the judgment where their customer was mandated to pay me the $3500 they stole from me and the bank told me I had to hire an attorney to place a bank lien. Is this true? Is there a way to place a bank lien...

Lien on bank accounts and car [ 2 Answers ]

I am a resident of Indiana. Capital One took me to small claims courts and received a judgment against me. I have been notified that while they believe that it appears they can't get a lien against me, they want me to go to a hearing in June and bring in proof of income and assets. My only...

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

View more questions Search