Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madeinhell Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Ddr ram
    Today I bought new ram (512 mb ddr 400 mhz) for my computer but when I put it in and tried to run my computer, it restarted after clearing the windows xp loading screen. To make matters worse my computer will not even run with my old bit of ram (256 mb ddr 333 mz) I took it back to the shop and got another 1 but this 1 won't work either. The guy in the shop says that it should work but it won't. My comp specs are as follows:

Os - windows xp pro
    Motherboard -asrock sis 741
    I can't mind the rest.any help would be grately appreciated!!
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

May 31, 2006, 01:29 PM
    I'm no expert but I've been told, any problems with memory try a Crucial scan.
    http://www.crucial.com/ scroll down a bit and scan your system. Someone else will be along soon. DavidB

Jun 2, 2006, 12:38 AM
    Yeah I've tried that and its detecting the new bit of ram I put but when I restart, xp won't boot up again! After the windows xp loading screen, it restarts over and over... any ideas?

Jun 2, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Also 1 other thing - for my computer 2 load up I need 2 pull out the csom thing every time and default everything every time! And again any help would be gray appreciated

Jun 5, 2006, 12:44 PM
    OK I've changed the battery and still the same is happening... my comp won't bootup without reseting the bios using the jumper! Anyone have any other ideas?
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Jun 7, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Its probably your asrock motherboard - you get what you pay for dude.
    Intuit Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 7, 2006, 12:05 PM
    You should always clear the CMOS when changing out hardware. -- see you already did that

It is possible that something was damaged or that the RAM was not completely pushed in.
    Sometimes dust gets into the RAM slots also. Make sure you're well grounded prior to touching
    Anything, and as much as possible, avoid touching any of the contacts or leads on the chips and board.

Jun 8, 2006, 01:12 PM
    OK well I think ma computer well screwed now. I turned it on the other day and it said it had a registry error! How do I fix this?
    Intuit Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 9, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Use System Restore.
    Even if SR claims that there are no images available to restore from, they can still be there.

AT.Exe 17:45 /interactive "C:\Program Files\freeCommander2005\freeCommander.Exe"
    SchTasks.Exe /Run /TN "AT1"

Navigate to "C:\System Volume Information" directory and search for the appropriate files. If they're still there, harvest them. Backup your current registry using a program called "ERUNT". From a different XP installation, locate and replace the SYSTEM, SOFTWARE and NTUSER.DAT files with the ones from the SVI directory.

The FreeCommander2005 and ERUNT programs can be found under the Freeware section of WWW.SnapFiles.Com .

Two helpful links for more info...
    GUIDE: Unlimited XP Installations on the Same Partition!! (allows you to access your files while not in use)
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

TIP: Use SystemRestore WITHOUT using WinXP interface...
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=2
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spyyder
    Its probably your asrock motherboard - you get what you pay for dude.
    Not always... I got the same mobo except mine is not 400 mhz.. even though its listed in bios, and runs sweetly

Are the jumpers setup correctly?. this mobo still uses them to setup fsb

Since you already cleared the cmos maybe it is defective... heck even ASUS and the other big names make defective mobo's...

Is he giving you low density or high density memory also is it ECC or NON ECC..

But you say old or new memory won't work in either slot now?

If that's case send back and get new mobo
    dmeeu Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2006, 08:02 AM
    I don't want to pile on, but I did six years as a technician. What you are experiencing happens once in a while. The board is bad. It may have had a solder trace that was weak. When you inserted the memory, you might have flexed the board enough to cause it to let go. The other guys are right; get a new board.

The tell is that the system wouldn't boot with the old memory in it. You can't hurt the board simply by putting in the wrong memory. Also, be careful. All memory is not created equal. Many times I have had one manufacturers memory work when another's wouldn't. I generally buy my memory and boards from the same shop, so they can guarantee the compatibility.

I use Asus boards almost exclusively now because I like their tech support. Once you bring the board home, tech support is the whole deal. It's certainly worth paying a couple of extra bucks for the part.

Regards,
    Dave
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 10, 2006, 09:09 AM
    What's the name of the memory?

Jun 10, 2006, 11:25 AM
    My memory make is elixir. Think I am just going to take your advice and get a new mobo! Any good, cheap places where I mgt be able 2 buy 1 for my amd semperon 2400+?

Jun 10, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Also is there any other way 2 reformat the hd even though the computer won't boot up fully and it doesn't come up at the start when the disc is in?
    dmeeu Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Put the hard drive into another computer as a slave. Then reformat it. You will have to change the jumpers, but drives these days have the jumper settings right on them. Try www.newegg.com for your motherboard and memory. I have had good luck with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search