Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    057csp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Header size requirement
    What size header is required when opening a load bearing wall in a basement of a 1 story house. Span is to be 109 inches, inside jack stud to jack stud?

Thanks much
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 04:44 PM

It isn't that easy especially since you have not provided us with current beam dimensions. Generally a double 2x10 nailed and glued with ply in between will do it. You could also look into LAM beams or LVLs at the lumber yard, they can help with the calculations too. You need to get a header span table and do several calulations or pay an engineer or architect to do it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size requirement for grille [ 3 Answers ]

Need an interior grille to cover a fresh air intake in a bedroom. Capacity of fan venting the space is 450 CFM. How can I calculate the amount of open grille area needed to accommodate this?

Header tank [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have my hot water from my heating venting into my header tank but only when hot water and heating is on, if I put them on individual it does not happen?? Thermostat is OK and pump is fine.

Inside wall plumbing size requirement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing plumbing for a full bath and next to it is a 1/2 bath in the basement. I'm ready to run the pipes up into the 2x4 walls. Can I continue through the walls with a 2 inch vent pipe or does this size need to be reduced? I will be connecting to a 2 inch vent that is run separately up and...

Header wall [ 3 Answers ]

I knocked out a piece of wall under my cabinate and think I need a header my opening is 6 ft. wide and approx 2 and a half tall I am opening up a wall to make a bigger counter anyway I have 2 2x4 studs that need to be took out and I am afraid of just taking them out as this was an outside wall at...

View more questions Search