Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thozwildeyes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Child support obligation in Indiana
    If my child turns 18 and decides to drop out of school because he is failing, do I still have to pay support. If he continues until the end of the year, and then does not graduate, because he failed required classes, but still lives at home, do I still have to pay support at the end of the scholl year? What if he does or does not have a job, does this effect the answer?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2008, 08:44 AM

We can't answer those questions since they are usually spelled out in your support agreement. Generally support continue until 18 or when they finish schooling.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 12:07 PM

And in many states you will need to back to court to get the support payments terminated no matter what age your child is.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
    I agree, this is hard to say because each child support order is different. It all depends on what your specific order says. Although, as the other poster said, child support is often paid until they turn 18, as they are no longer considered a child, they are "of age" and considered adults.

The best thing is to read over your support order and see if it specifies, if not, you'll need to contact the lawyer who handled this, or you may have to contact the court to get clarification. Don't assume you'll still have to pay... double check so you won't be out money that you're not required to give.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 05:59 PM

As noted any back support will have to be paid, and in or out of school it is paid till at least 18, if they continue in school after 18, then it is more the if, depending on the exact terms of the written agreement

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support in Indiana-18 or 21? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Florida and his daughter lives in Indiana. She and her mother do not speak to us. The child has not been allowed to see her father for about 6 years. Her mother is remarried and they are on welfare, public assistance, etc. We were counting down that we only have 2 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

REMOVING child support obligation: federal vs. State of Idaho [ 10 Answers ]

I am disabled (ssid), permanently. Child support is automatically deducted from my disability of $800.00 each month. The amount deducted is $50. Ssi office says they can not remove that obligation. But Idaho law reads that if a child is over the age of 23 , then any amount owed is waived. My son...

When does child support end in Indiana State [ 2 Answers ]

My son turned 20 this summer, is living at home and working part-time. He attended College two semester. I paid $300 per month, $1,000.00 in tuition and over $2,000.00 in computers and book fees while he was in College. The cost of living is higher and I am not able to help him this year. My son...

Child support obligation [ 3 Answers ]

My husband was married to a woman before me and they had a child together. When they first divorced, he was still in college, working part time and living with his parents, so his income, should the court have put into effect a child support order, would have fallen below the minimum needs...

View more questions Search