Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick1616 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 11:30 PM
    HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red!
    So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! I don't know if I should buy more dye and maybe try darker? (I'm afraid if I try lighter it might get more red!) or is there any way I can remove it? ( I don't think I can since it said permanent) Help! I have a party of Friday and everyone will notice! Should I dye it again? Can anything get the red out? Or can I remove the color altogether? Just did it last night so its been 24 hours so far:eek:
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2006, 12:16 AM
    Book yourself a hairdressers appt before Friday ;)
    Nick1616 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    Book yourself a hairdressers appt b4 friday ;)
    Don't really have the time for it, does the color zap stuff work at all?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 1, 2006, 11:30 PM
    As you know, I tried to view this thread a couple of days ago while I was giving beauty and skin care advice on the forum, but the thread wouldn't open. So I had to answer your question via PM. I told you to use a medium ash brown color because ash base colors will get rid of the reddish tones in your hair. If the medium ash brown doesn't get rid of all of the red, then try using dark ash brown.

You can also use a hair color remover to strip the artificial color from your hair. But keep in mind that your hair won't return to its original shade once you use a hair color remover. It will make it raw and brassy. Therefore, you will need to re-color your hair in order to look natural.
    Nice1 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1616
    So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence creme ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair!! HELP!! I dont know if I should buy more dye and maybe try darker??(I'm afraid if I try lighter it might get more red!) or is there any way i can remove it?? ( I don't think I can since it said permanent) Help! I have a party of friday and everyone will notice! Should I dye it again? Can anything get the red out?? or can I remove the color altogether?? Just did it last night so its been 24 hours so far:eek:
    When it comes to dying our hair is like we become guinea pigs. You have to either be real careful or just be ready for whatever results can occur. I actually believe that you should try another name brand. I believe that your problem goes further than an error with a color. It must have to do with your pigment, and the reaction that dye caused on it. Try dying it the darkest brown possible. Maybe Try Clairol instead, it all depends. Your hair will look almost black, but it is not. Then gradually you will have to lighten it. I was told any color that have orange in it triggers people who have a red pigment. My pigment is red, so it is hard for me to get a nice light brown or blond color in my hair. Everything eventually looks either a reddish brown or a reddish blond. The dye doesn't have to be by Loreal, there are other good dyes out there. Go to Sally's and find a nice dye without any red pigment in it. It is up to you what your decision may be. I don't like using harsh chemicals on my hair. I've been there and done that, and I actually after many mistakes learned my lesson. Lol! The whole stripping your hair color ordeal sounds brutal to me. It is an option, but still your decision. Good luck!
    cedwick Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 05:06 AM
    To follow up on Pretty lady's advice. The ash color should fix this. Try it in a demi-perm though, clairol natural instincts in medium ash brown is good if your hair is in fairly good condition. It is better to fix this problem first with something less permanent to give your processed hair time to heal.
    rainaeasly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Comment on PrettyLady's post
    Told the results of different options
    livie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Exactly the same thing happened to me! I am now considering this colour stipping thing and I was wondering how the above solutions worked for you and if any of them were effective I am really worried that my hair will just go redder as I wasn't it to bee a bit lighter as well... thank you
    Artsettimavn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Also remember that colored hair loses color every time you wash it. Brown hair has some red in it and perhaps you are over-reacting to that? If you dye it with any ash shades you can expect it to turn off-black. Is that better than what you have now? I like Wella color the best because it covers much better than Clairol or L'Oreal. If you REALLY hate what you have right now, then I would just use their Medium Brown. It will be plenty dark.
    mfleck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1616
    So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence creme ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair!! HELP!! I dont know if I should buy more dye and maybe try darker??(I'm afraid if I try lighter it might get more red!) or is there any way i can remove it?? ( I don't think I can since it said permanent) Help! I have a party of friday and everyone will notice! Should I dye it again? Can anything get the red out?? or can I remove the color altogether?? Just did it last night so its been 24 hours so far:eek:
    What happened? Ash can turn it green... what did you wind up doing?
    mfleck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Using ash can turn hair green
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 02:54 PM
    This thread is 2 years old. Please do not resurrect old threads, unless you have something beneficial to add to them.

When hair becomes an unwanted tone such as red or orange, ash colors can be used to help neutralize or cut down these tones. For instance, if your hair is red, a green-based hair coloring product will counter-act the red tones in your hair. Ash-base colors are great for neutralizing brassy tones. But if you use a green-based ash hair color on yellow-blonde hair, it will result in a green cast. It's best to follow the instructions carefully when using any ash-base colors.
    youngandgrey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 11:11 PM

I colored my mostly gray and ash blond hair with a light brown that, according to the box, wasn't supposed to change my natural color much. The grey, which is VERY evident on the top of my head, turned reddish, strawberry blonde, and the rest of my hair a DARK brown. I tried vinegar and lemon, which did no good, then I stumbled across this site. I read the helpful hints, but don't have access to Prell shampoo or Dawn dishwashing liquid at the present time, but had to do something quick. I can't go to work looking like that tomorrow! So I tried the dishwashing liquid I have, which is Ajax with Bleach Alternative, Ruby Red Grapefruit. I washed it once with the DL, washed with a conditioning shampoo, then combed some conditioner through my hair and left it for about 20 minutes. It made a slight difference, but not much. So I washed it again with the DL, this time leaving it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing, and then followed the same process as earlier with the shampoo and conditioner. It seems to have taken some of the red out, and left my hair with a more even brown tone. It doesn't look so much like a drastic dye job anymore. I'm going to do this process one or two more times in hope of getting the color result I was originally looking for. Hope this helps!
    zeynepercan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 09:39 AM

You could use semi permenent hair color and see the result depending on that you can get a machine perm color.but remember that every time you use hair color it makes real damage even if they are brown or darker shades.you can use amonia free formulas but they are pain in the since you have to dye every month. And also you can add violet base to get ride of orange color and blue base get ride of red shades if you get them from sallys you could add your hair mixture.they are really cheap like 1 dolar sth. Also you should use a protein filler and before and after treatments ,also get a good conditionar and shampoo I like pantene a lot but nexxus is incredible. If you use emergencee nexxus it will restore your damaged hair .
    Brendajoycepa Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 10, 2008, 05:39 PM

Help!! Colored my hair with a warm brown and it turned Dark auburn.. then I put a med ash blonde on not as dark but it is red... what color can I put on to have a light brown color.. TY
    pinkytweak16 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 02:35 AM

Brown has red in it you need to dye it black
    COURTfacebaby Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 05:27 AM
    To reply to "mfleck"
    No it cant,
    Only if u have bleach blonde hair, would it turn green :S
    COURTfacebaby Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 05:28 AM

Only if you have bleach blonde hair, it would turn green :S***
    cdm71blue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Ash brown has no red in it so that will do the job, it cancels the red out, it won't turn your hair green at all! Your hair may turn green if your blonde then go to brown, you would then use a red to counteract the green
    thebride Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 08:53 AM
    It is a harsh process but believe it or not dish liquid does work to remove a lot of red and tone it down. Leave some red though and apply an ash. The green/red spectrum will give you the med. Ash you desire. I agree with the woman who stated 'bump it up to a higher quality color'. Ion is absolutely out of this world fantastic! Shine and health all the way. Get your demi med. Ash brown from Sally Beauty Supply... Ion Colour Brilliance :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

Removing Dark Hair Color [ 33 Answers ]

I have colored my hair at home for the last year. It has gotten almost black and I want a more medium brown. My 3 inch roots are the way I want my color but I'm getting anxious about the rest of it. I have read about all kinds of home remedies... prell, dawn dish det. etc. they just don't seem to...

Blonde highlights with dark brown hair [ 6 Answers ]

I just got my hair highlighted blonde/gold today but it's not as subtle as I had hoped. How do I make it fade to a more subtle color as quickly as possible without returning to the salon? Would Prell work?

Removing dark hair color [ 5 Answers ]

hello everyone, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me cos my hairs driving me mad! I used to have bleach blond hair until last year when I died it mid brown at the hairdressers, since then I've bin getting it done regularly n now its really dark brown that also has a red color in...

Hair turned yellow, need help! [ 2 Answers ]

I had a dark blondish hair color.. with light highlights.. I decided to change my color.. I wanted my hair all one color.. a lightish blonde, but I have a very low budget so I decided to do it myself and went to the store and bought a blonde hair color (Clairol - Born Blonde 'Original').. it...

View more questions Search