Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjwwildwoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2004, 01:08 PM
    Probation
    My court sentence is Treatment in Lieu of conviction. I am following all of the guidelines, but the probation officer and I have a huge personality conflict. Even though I am following all of the parameters set, he gives me grief every time we meet. It is getting to the point where I am physically sick for 2 days before my meeting with him. I desperately need to know if there is any thing I can do to get assigned to a new PO.

JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

May 27, 2004, 02:15 AM
    Re: Probation
    I have been a probation officer for seven years in Maryland. You need to speak to the person's supervisor about the problem. You should never be upset when you see the probation officer as long as you are in compliance with your probation. It doesn't matter what each person's personality is as long as you stay in compliance for the period of the probation.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2005, 10:42 PM
    That's right
    Mr. Jim Gunther is absolutely right. If you are doing your best to comply, no worries mate! Speak to the supervisor ASAP.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 07:46 AM
    Hello kj:

I respectfully disagree with the other two posters. THEY, after all, are on the OTHER side. That said, they probably are correct. However, having been on probation, your PO holds your life in his hands. If he wants to destroy you, it doesn’t matter whether you’ve complied or not. He can screw you over big time.

You do need to do something about it. I agree, that communication with your PO’s supervisor is the first step. Do it in writing. Don’t complain that he’s a prick. They’ll probably like that. Discuss how the relationship is from YOUR perspective, and that you are doing the best you can.

Finally, and it’s drastic, if you can’t get a new PO, move to a new city in your area. You’ll get a new PO.

excon

This is not legal advice. It’s jail advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2005, 08:04 AM
    Probation
    Ok he is just fussing at you, telling you are dirt and so on.

If so that may just be his way of keeping you straight, you can ask for another one but exactly what is he fussing about? Often more facts and lead to a better answer
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:47 AM
    What's Up Excon?
    Well, as we can tell, either Mr. Excon has just gotten out of jail from his last beef or his attitude toward the law enforcement community as a whole is being aired for all to see. In any case, he feels that they are all out to get him and I, as a retired probation officer and Prison guard, know that is just not the case. There are some "pricks" as Mr. Excon has pointed out, in every field. The one thing we have to remember is that in every case, the judge has the final say. If a probation officer violates your probation, the judge does the disposition regarding the final outcome. The probation officer merely files the paperwork when he or she feels that due to your extremely bad attitude, you may be a risk to the public and yourself. And, that there really is nothing they can do to help you and your attitude. Until you take full responsibilities for your own actions Mr. Excon, you will always be an easy target for everyone in the criminal justice system.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 12:12 PM
    Who asked you to comment about me?
    Hello Mr. Magprob:

How did my advice to this person turn in to your opportunity to be rude to me? This person said that her probation officer “gives her grief”. Because I don’t disagree with her, I think the world is out to get me? You don’t know me at all. Frankly, I pity your probationers who had to deal with your off the wall snap judgments.

So, during a revocation hearing, the PO “merely files paperwork... [and tells the judge] how he or she feels that due to your extremely bad attitude, you may be a risk... ” Then if the judge revokes the probation, well, the judge did it. You didn’t do a thing. You’re innocent? No, Sir. You are not.

You are right about one thing. My attitude shows a disdain towards the law enforcement community. You Sir, are one of the reasons.

excon
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 07:32 PM
    Askmehelpdesk Rules
    Hello again, magprob:

Below is a copy of the site rules. Please note #2. I've already talked to you about #7. Try to obey the rules, although I know it might be hard for you.

1. Post only questions or answers to questions. Miscellaneous statements belong in the Member Discussions board.

2. Do not disparage any member publicly on the forums, although you may choose to disagree with a member's advice, and say so.

3. Do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

4. Do not post content that is significantly equivalent to content found elsewhere on the internet if it can be linked to.

5. Do not post copyrighted content unless you are the copyright owner.

6. Do not misrepresent yourself.

7. Do not advertise or spam.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Law [ 11 Answers ]

My husband has gotten the probation officer from hell and I should know because even I have been threatened by this woman and I am the supposed victim. He and I both want him to just fulfill the terms of his probation and get on with our lives but within ethical reason. My husband works between...

Probation [ 7 Answers ]

I was placed on probation for a year for grand theft under 3,000 in fees. Time is up oct. 15-06 I have not been able to pay any money but I have completed all community hrs. I was 2 months pregnant at the time and did not know it I had my child 6-13-06 he passed on 6-30-06 though I have not had...

Probation [ 3 Answers ]

I got a 5 yr sentence in harris county, Texas. I have done almost 3 yrs. What are the possibilites of getting off? I was charged with arson. Please give me some advise.

Probation [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is on probation for a misdemeanor violation (possession of marijuana). He has paid all fines, but has 24 hours of comminuty service to do. He has not done the community service yet because the county tells him when and where he can do community service. They have conveniently chosen a...

Probation and a job [ 2 Answers ]

An individual is hired at a job while in a work release center and is placed on probation with the requirement to have a job. If this person is fired from their job, must the employer contact anyone legally? I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered on this. Thanks!

View more questions Search