Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karanlanae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
    what is considered to be " child abandonment"?
    I just had a very rough , rough divorce,my x husband & I have joint custody ,Im residential parent... however,he isn't practicing his rights to see our children (12 & 14 yrs old),he pays child support on time but says he is moving out of state to start a new job in his home town, what are the legal issues that I need to be aware of to protect myself,is this considered to be child abandonment? Thank you
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 15, 2008, 05:51 PM
    It depends on your state. From my knowledge, most states consider a parent not seeing a child for at least 5 years as abandonment, however there are some that have different laws. You'll need to contact your local court house (or your lawyer if you have one) and get clarification on the laws.
    Just because he's moving out of state does not make it abandonment. There are many people who do the bi-coastal custody thing, where one parent has them 6 months, the other has them the rest of the year.
    Abandonment is often defined as not paying for child support, and not seeing or contacting the child for a specific amount of time (again determined by each states laws).
    Hope this helps,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 05:56 PM

There is nothing you do to protect yourself, He may ask to have the child visit schedule modified to work with being out of state. But his contact is often considered his sending the check, he has not abandoned the child, since he is paying his support.

But it is normally a issue used in divorce if one party just left, and/or if the parent just left the child at the mall or on the side of the road.

Also seldom will they take away any rights if the parent does not see the child or even if they don't pay child support..

So basically what are you wanting to protect yourself from?

As noted he may want longer visits in the summer and so on

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this considered "contact"? What a joke! [ 8 Answers ]

The last time BF took our son for a visitation was May 13, 2006. On July 1, 2006, my son saw his BF for about 5 min with his grandma (they ran into BF at his work) Fast Forward: BF has had NO contact since then. He has not called, sent a card, nothing. On June 20, 2008 my son, husband, and I went...

What is considered a "minor" repair to a rental house? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in a house for about a year. So far, I have had to rip out the smelly,30 year old carpet and replace them. I have painted the inside. One bathroom is clogged all the time and has cracked tile on the floor. The other bathroom, the shower ran constantly (I fixed it after I received...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? Part2 [ 2 Answers ]

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email correspondence with the leasing director of the realty company about giving me lower rent since the weakening economy due to high energy...

View more questions Search