Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jklgarden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Getting a juvenile sex offender out of neighborhood
    Our 5 year old grandson and another 5 year old boy in the same neighborhood, were sexually molested, repeatedly, by a 9 year old boy that lives across the street. Because of his age, he evidently cannot be charged with a crime (in OH). How can this family be legally "encouraged" to leave the neighborhood, so that the younger children in the area are no longer in danger of being molested again?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 01:48 PM

Why can't he be charged? I am trying to research the laws for juvenile offenders, and everything states that they can be charged.

I don't think anyone can be legally forced to move.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jklgarden View Post
    Our 5 year old grandson and another 5 year old boy in the same neighborhood, were sexually molested, repeatedly, by a 9 year old boy that lives across the street. Because of his age, he evidently cannot be charged with a crime (in OH). How can this family be legally "encouraged" to leave the neighborhood, so that the younger children in the area are no longer in danger of being molested again?

This is odd - I have read through the law and find all sites say, basically: "Criminal cases involving defendants between the ages of 10 and 18 are handled in juvenile court." I find no or very vague info about defendants UNDER the age of 10.

Of course, even if he were charged that would not get him out of the neighborhood.

Has he or is he receiving therapy or anything of that nature?

I see no legal way to force or encourage his family to move.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 05:05 PM

The offender can be taken into Juv court and punished by that court. That can go from nothing to probation to boot camp or detention.

There is nothing you can do beyond tell the truth of what happened.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Hello j:

Well, you just go on down to the doughnut shoppe, where you'll find your local cops, and tell them to DO THEIR JOB!!

excon
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:05 AM

The reason that a 9 year old is probably not being charged with a crime is that it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between "sexual assault" and kids being curious at the younger ages. And also, there is a feeling that young kids can be rehabilitated, and therefore we don't want them winding up on sex offender lists for the rest of their lives. (Say they get treatment, and never do this again, but because of the conviction, they can't go within X feet of a school.) And finally there is the problem that the first sign that you get that some kids have been sexually molested is that they do the same thing to other kids, and if there is a possibility that their kid is going to be charged with the crime, then parents won't report it, which means that the adult predator is free to prey on other kids.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Hello again:

I absolutely agree with froggy.

IF the cops don't want to prosecute for THOSE reasons (and they're GOOD reasons), then that's fine. But, that's not the reason that was given to the victims' family.

So, the cops either need to tell the truth, or stop stuffing their faces with doughnuts.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking out the neighborhood [ 2 Answers ]

We are going to buy a house My question Is How I now the security Of the area if it is safe or not? There's any link or website that can I use to check ?

Juvenile sex offender [ 1 Answers ]

Live in Alabama / My stepson sexually abused my daughter he is now 19. (he was 16 last time it happened and she was 7) anyway, went to court he was on house arrest and had to attend counseling. My question is, due to other unfortunate events my husband gave up his rights and my stepson was adopted...

What a neighborhood [ 1 Answers ]

Devotion Dave went on a business trip for a few days. When he returned, his wife reported that the dog really missed him. "She spent every night at the front door, waiting for you to come home," she said. "What an example of devotion," Dave replied. "I wonder if you'd be that concerned...

View more questions Search