Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Oct 14, 2008, 08:39 AM
    FIRE at our condo building!
    I'm not sure where to put this - so I'll try here.

My husband, son, and I own a condo. There are 8 units in the building (4 on one side and 4 on the other) This is the only condo building also (we don't live in a condo community)

This past Sunday morning (Oct 12) my husband got home from work at 6 AM and woke me up. He told me that I would want to, "See this". I looked out the window to find 3 fire trucks, 1 police car parked behind my car in the driveway, and 2 more police cars in the road. I went outside to find out what was going on. Well, my 20 year old next door neighbor set her balcony on fire. She had a few friends over that night and "apparently" someone didn't put out a cigarette all the way. She was using a kitty litter box as a ash tray which caught on fire. That set the table on fire which in turn set the balcony on fire. We are lucky that it got put out and the only damage was on her side.

This is what I'm questioning:

The police, firemen, and neighbor didn't wake anyone in any of the condo units up! The only reason that I found out about this is because my husband came home at this time. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and didn't get to bed until late that night. Doesn't the fire department have the responsibility to wake the other residents up as we are all in the same building? Our furnaces for our units are right next to our balconies. They use natural gas!

Also, my husband told me that as he pulled up, he asked a fireman what was going on. He was given this reply, "Oh never mind, we have it under control." My husband told the man that he lived here and the fireman just walked away.

We want to write a letter to the mayor about this. We are really upset. Our down stairs neighbor would also like to sign the letter (as she was also home and was not awoken up). What would be the best way to go about writing the letter?

Another thing: Will the building condo insurance pay for this? The reason that I put my neighbors age up above is because she was drinking that night. Also, would it be negligence for not making sure the cigarette was put out all the way?

Thanks for any help or advise
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2008, 08:51 AM

The neighbor should have homeowner's insurance that should cover the damage. Since there was no structural damage, the HOA shouldn't be involved.

As far as the FD's role, I'm not sure that they had to inform. If they felt they had the situation under control and there was no danger, then I don't see that they needed to evacuate.

Maybe it would have been more prudent, but I would assume they knew what they were doing.

If you want to write the mayor and the commissioner, feel free to do so. But I would not write an accusatory letter. Instead I would simply express concern that the building wasn't evacuated due to the proximity of gas tanks to the fire. Let them investigate.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2008, 02:48 PM

I'd call the local fire department station that services your condo and inform them that the condo units have natural gas furnaces located where you indicated and that you were very upset that no fireman came and woke you or anyone else up and you were extremely stressed out about WHAT could have possibly happened had the situation gotten out of hand. Maybe the fire dept would like to be aware of the natural gas/furnace location in case of another incident happening in your complex. I'd address any letter you write to the Fire Chief and/or the Fire Marshall's Office and the Police Chief. I don't think the Mayor can do much about this as this is definitely a Fire Department issue.

Where I live we had all the homes within a one block radius evacuated when there was a propane tank leak until the Fire Department said it was okay to return to our homes. My local Fire Department does not fool around when it comes to propane or natural gas. I was told to leave around 11PM by the Fire Dept and could not return to my home until 4AM. I didn't mind at all considering a propane tank could have blown sky high.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell_Lee View Post
    I'm not sure where to put this - so I'll try here.

My husband, son, and I own a condo. There are 8 units in the building (4 on one side and 4 on the other) This is the only condo building also (we don't live in a condo community)

This past Sunday morning (Oct 12) my husband got home from work at 6 AM and woke me up. He told me that I would want to, "See this". I looked out the window to find 3 fire trucks, 1 police car parked behind my car in the driveway, and 2 more police cars in the road. I went outside to find out what was going on. Well, my 20 year old next door neighbor set her balcony on fire. She had a few friends over that night and "apparently" someone didn't put out a cigarette all the way. She was using a kitty litter box as a ash tray which caught on fire. That set the table on fire which in turn set the balcony on fire. We are lucky that it got put out and the only damage was on her side.

This is what I'm questioning:

The police, firemen, and neighbor didn't wake anyone in any of the condo units up! The only reason that I found out about this is because my husband came home at this time. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and didn't get to bed until late that night. Doesn't the fire department have the responsibility to wake the other residents up as we are all in the same building? Our furnaces for our units are right next to our balconies. They use natural gas!

Also, my husband told me that as he pulled up, he asked a fireman what was going on. He was given this reply, "Oh never mind, we have it under control." My husband told the man that he lived here and the fireman just walked away.

We want to write a letter to the mayor about this. We are really upset. Our down stairs neighbor would also like to sign the letter (as she was also home and was not awoken up). What would be the best way to go about writing the letter?

Another thing: Will the building condo insurance pay for this? The reason that I put my neighbors age up above is because she was drinking that night. Also, would it be negligence for not making sure the cigarette was put out all the way?

Thanks for any help or advise

I'm surprised the Firefighter had any discussion at the scene with your husband - they usually just push you back. I would assume they knew what they were doing (the building didn't burn down) so other than having the condo association write a letter advising where the furnaces are located and a request to be notified if there's another fire, I don't see what else you can do. The Mayor isn't going to get involved in "what if's" - nothing happened to anyone else's property so apparently the firefighters were correct in the way they handled it.

I AM surprised that smoke detectors - if the fire was of any magnitude - didn't wake everyone up.

If you can PROVE the cause of the fire and YOU were damaged, yes, she was responsible for the actions of her guests. That's up to the Fire Inspectors and/or her insurance claim adjuster.

I am slightly amused by your comment about drinking and her age - didn't we have a discussion about underage drinking some time ago and you saw no problem with it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 04:59 PM

Normally if there is no real danger in the fire, they will not notify the other people in an Condo or apartment. A minor fire on a deck if under control does not need to have every moved out.

Perhaps a letter writing telling them what a great job the fire department did, getting there fast, getting things under control and that you were glad they did such a good job.

As a police officer we had dozens ( most likely several dozens) of fires in apartments and other buildings, and we only make others leave if there is a seroius danger to others. If it is easy under control there is no reason to to distrupt others needlessly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building tesla coil first timer will not fire up [ 2 Answers ]

I have car coil driven by 555 ic that part seems to work fine From car coil I have 3 20Kv 500pF caps then my spark gap Conneted to my pri. Pri is 3/16 copper wire 8'' dia approx 6'' tall At 7 windings Sec is 28ga wire 3 1/2 dia 14 1/2 '' tall 1080 windings Can't get any spark at the spark...

Building outdoor fire pit [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of building an outdoor stone fire pit using local stone, which I have gathered around the property. This fire pit is going to be 2 feet high and about 2.5 feet in diameter. Are there certain type of stone I should not use and do I need ventilation holes at the base of the pit?...

Condo building - water in sinks but NOT in shower? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Quick history. Earlier this week the water pump in my condo building was making a horrible noise. A guy came out and we got a new impeller. Seemed to be fine... then today I went to take a shower and not even a drip came out of the bathroom faucet. Now, I have water in my kitchen and...

Condo building experiencing sewage odor issues after multiple tests [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! Thanks for reading my question. We're a 2-story office condo in Raleigh, NC that has been experiencing intermittent issues with sewage odors. The odor used to occur a time or two per month, but is now occurring much more often (several times per week). The odor can be at a different...

View more questions Search