Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davebp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2008, 08:26 AM
    What was this boy's toy?
    I'm trying to remember the name of a toy I had in the late 70's or early 80's and it's driving me mad.
    The toy had a type of joystick which was attached to a base - intended to represent the surface of an aircraft carrier and the controls of an aircraft. A string line was then attached to the top of the stairs to which was connected a model aircraft. Upon releasing some mechanism on the joystick, the aircraft would slide down the stringline and using the joystick, you had to control the descent and land the aircraft safely on the aircraft carrier.
    I remember having great fun playing with this and would love to know what it was called.
    I hope somebody can help.:confused:
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Oct 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Yeah, I saw these recently on a TV programme; they're called Hot Birds and are made by Mattel.

Here's a link to a site about them;
    Hot Birds Diecast Planes

Be careful googling them though, who knows what you could end up with! Ha ha! ;)

Oct 15, 2008, 03:13 AM
    Thanks Hunters Bar, these look quite cool and based on the concept I was trying to describe, but it's not the same toy.
    Like I said, the one I'm trying to find the name for came from the late 1970's I think.
    Any other ideas anyone?:confused:
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Oct 15, 2008, 05:04 AM

OK then, could it be Flying Aces, also made by Mattel!

Pictured in the catalogue here;
    Mattel Superstar Christmas Fun Book I sweathogs I Vertibird I 1976 Catalog I Plaidstallions.com

And discussed a lot here;
    Mattel Aircraft Carrier - Mego Talk

Oct 17, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Keep trying mate.
    My toy was a single aircraft - I think it was a Buccaneer from memory.
    The aircraft and the landing deck was a dark blue colour.
    The plane was released from the top of the string line and the idea was to land it successfully on the landing deck.
    The aircraft had a hanging hook system underneath, which I think was yellow, which would catch onto an elastic band on the landing deck - so slowing it down quickly, otherwise you crashed.
    The pictures that your link show, have the joystick underneath the landing deck. My toy had the landing deck sat on the floor and the joystick was positioned on top.
    I may be wrong, but I think the toy was British made, which would make sense if the aircraft actually was a Buccaneer.
    I don't think there is much more I can tell you. I've had to delve into the deepest recesses of my memory to come up with this much. What I do remember clearly is that it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever received as a kid.:D
    Voort saBnring Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Flying Aces were foam rubber. They were shot from the 'launch deck' by a spring powered hook. The thing was basically a jet plane themed dart gun.

Quote Originally Posted by iAMfromHuntersBar View Post
    OK then, could it be Flying Aces, also made by Mattel!?

Pictured in the catalogue here;
    Mattel Superstar Christmas Fun Book I sweathogs I Vertibird I 1976 Catalog I Plaidstallions.com

and discussed a lot here;
    Mattel Aircraft Carrier - Mego Talk

Nov 7, 2008, 02:49 PM
    There was one called 'You fly It' from Shopco.
    Here's a link to a video for the TV commercial.

Download movies free video downloads movie classic movie free videos tv shows cartoons commercials music video media mpeg movies - U Fly-It by Schaper

Quote Originally Posted by davebp View Post
    Keep trying mate.
    The plane was released from the top of the string line and the idea was to land it successfully on the landing deck.
    The aircraft had a hanging hook system underneath, which I think was yellow, which would catch onto an elastic band on the landing deck - so slowing it down quickly, otherwise you crashed.
    The pictures that your link show, have the joystick underneath the landing deck. My toy had the landing deck sat on the floor and the joystick was positioned on top.
    I may be wrong, but I think the toy was British made, which would make sense if the aircraft actually was a Buccaneer.
    I don't think there is much more I can tell you. I've had to delve into the deepest recesses of my memory to come up with this much. What I do remember clearly is that it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever received as a kid.:D

Nov 7, 2008, 02:58 PM
    I think I found it

'Flight Deck'
    Or possibly
    Super Flight Deck by Airfix

With attacehd images lifted from the electronic auction site that shall not be named.

Keep trying mate.
    Attached Images

stuART BELLMAN Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 11:09 PM
    I had one and want one i am pretty sure mine was u-fly it aircraft carrier 3 or 4 ft foam aircraft carrier rubberband catapolt lanch to top of stairs it turned and you guided it down to catch string on base the carrier was the us enterprise f 14 jet with bombs you could drop too my favorite toy of all time where can i find one any help on pics advert location email me [email protected]

Nov 26, 2008, 11:13 PM
    i'm trying to remember the name of a toy i had in the late 70's or early 80's and it's driving me mad.
    The toy had a type of joystick which was attached to a base - intended to represent the surface of an aircraft carrier and the controls of an aircraft. A string line was then attached to the top of the stairs to which was connected a model aircraft. Upon releasing some mechanism on the joystick, the aircraft would slide down the stringline and using the joystick, you had to control the descent and land the aircraft safely on the aircraft carrier.
    I remember having great fun playing with this and would love to know what it was called.
    Did you find any info I posted answere was yours the you fly it aircraft carrier the carrier was foam 3 or 4 ft long rubber band catapolt launch then you guided plane down after it turned around at the top of stairs. Mine I'm pretty sure was the us enterprise with a f 14 jet let me know email if you want [email protected]

Nov 26, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Did you find any info I posted answere was yours the you fly it aircraft carrier the carrier was foam 3 or 4 ft long rubber band catapolt launch then you guided plane down after it turned around at the top of stairs. Mine I'm pretty sure was the us enterprise with a f 14 jet let me know email if you want [email protected]
    Joe Becker Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 08:00 AM
    The toy was a U FLY IT aircraft carrier 1974 I was the inventor Need more email me Joe
    chrisnjillian Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Becker View Post
    the toy was a U FLY IT aircraft carrier 1974 I was the inventor Need more email me Joe
    You said "Need more email me" Does this mean you have these for sale? I had one as a kid, the aircraft carrier, and I would love to purchase one for my son.

Jun 9, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnjillian View Post
    You said "Need more email me" Does this mean you have these for sale? I had one as a kid, the aircraft carrier, and I would love to purchase one for my son.
    Call me @ 813 633 2615

Jun 9, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnjillian View Post
    Yes I have built about 6 aircraft carriers If your interested call me 813 633 2615 or e mail [email protected] Joe Becker

Jun 9, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stuART BELLMAN View Post
    did you find any info i posted answere was yours the you fly it aircraft carrier the carrier was foam 3 or 4 ft long rubber band catapolt launch then you guided plane down after it turned around at the top of stairs. Mine im pretty sure was the us enterprise with a f 14 jet let me know email if you want [email protected]
    Yes I can provide u fly it carrier call me 813 633 2615 or e mail @ [email protected]

Jun 15, 2009, 03:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Voort saBnring View Post
    I think I found it

'Flight Deck'
    or possibly
    Super Flight Deck by Airfix

with attacehd images lifted from the electronic auction site that shall not be named.
    Voort, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been working away.
    Super Flight Deck was the toy I had. Don't know how you found out, but you have made my day.
    Thank you!
    :):):):):):)

Jun 15, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Voort, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been working away.
    Super Flight Deck was the toy I had. Don't know how you found out, but you have made my day.
    Thank you!
    :):):):):):)
    Super flight deck was the u fly it buy the british co. I can provide a custom built ufly it carrier... Joe becker

Jul 5, 2009, 09:45 AM
    I'm trying to remember the name of a toy I had in the late 70's or early 80's and it's driving me mad.
    U FLY IT Invented by Joe Becker contact [email protected]

Jul 5, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stuART BELLMAN View Post
    did you find any info i posted answere was yours the you fly it aircraft carrier the carrier was foam 3 or 4 ft long rubber band catapolt launch then you guided plane down after it turned around at the top of stairs. Mine im pretty sure was the us enterprise with a f 14 jet let me know email if you want [email protected]
    Joe Becker Invented the U FLY IT aircraft carrier contact... jbeckerwrites @tampabay.rr.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What 80's movie is it where a boy's hair grows [ 12 Answers ]

I'm not even sure it was an 80's movie but I remember I saw it in the 6th grade which was in 1988. All I can remember is there was a young boy that had hair that would not stop growing. I'm not sure if he was kidnapped or ran away but somehow a spell was placed on him and his hair wouldn't stop...

Boy's Behaviour Towards Girls [ 12 Answers ]

OK. I'm getting so tired of this. There are seven guys who are messing with me. For the last few days, two of them would flirt or look at me with puppy eyes then next few days, other guys would flirt excessively or try to touch me. But they would ignore me or harass me the next day. Then the whole...

Cause (s) of baby boy's head over developed [ 1 Answers ]

What would/could cause a four month old baby boy's head to be more developed than the rest of his body, pediatrician wants to wait and see how he does in his next visit in two months; should I be alarmed?

How to talk to a 10 yr old daughter about boy's [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I am married and have a 10 yr old daughter and a 3 yr old boy. Yesterday me and my husband just found out that a boy 11yrs old like's our daughter. The father of the little boy aprouched my husband by telling him that he's son wanted to hold my daughter's hand. My husband out of shocked and...

Italian Boy's Confession [ 3 Answers ]

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I have been with a loose woman." The priest asks, "Is that you, little Johnny Parisi?" "Yes, Father, it is." "And who was the woman you were with?" "I can't tell you, Father. I don't want to ruin her reputation."

View more questions Search