Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigglebite Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 12:03 PM
    High School Website (Current and Past Student)
    Where could I find a Website maker for (Current and Past Student)

In which they could upload their own pictures, enter their name, and anything they wanted to say? Forum, Blogs, and so on.

I wanted to make a High School website.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 04:01 AM
    Almost any web design software will work... but the good news is that you can get the best there is for relatively cheap. Dreamweaver. If you are a student (or you have a student in the household) you can get the Academic version for about $180. Or an older version (like DreamweaverMX) for even cheaper.

From there all you need is a domain name (a dot com, dot org etc) which will run you about $8 a year, and hosting, which will run $60-$100 a year depending on who you choose.

(There are scads of free web space sites out there, but for something as potentiall big and feature full as you describe, they'll probably not work for you.)

Just my opinion: You can find web design software as cheap as $50 on the shelf of your local software store, but within a few months, you'd find yourself wishing you'd spent the $180 for the software that will do everything you want.

... and as for a forum, one of the best ones out there is free:
    http://www.simplemachines.org/ You'd use it in conjunction with your site.

Hope that helps with the basics.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2006, 06:39 AM
    As usual, I have to start my threads on a downer. Do you have any HTML experience? If not, don't expect this to be something easy. A site like this will need to be tied to a database and be managed closely if it's doing to be a success.

I wouldn't go for free web space. For a site like this you will need a lot of space, a lot of bandwidth and a good backend database. You won't get this with free providers.

If you don't have any HTML experience, you build this kind of site but it won't be easy. I'd start by finding a CMS (content management system) that you like and attempting to build your site in that: Google search for CMS' I'd go with Mambo or Drupal if your webserver supports PHP.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 06:42 AM
    LT, I'm curious. I know CMS is big... but are typical CMS apps as easy to learn as something like Dreamweaver or FrontPage?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2006, 06:45 AM
    I think it's a 50/50 case. You'd get a better site with DreamWeaver but it would take more time to create and update. The CMS would restrict you more in what you could do but it would be a lot easier to make changes. As for "learning" - are the wizard's in DreamWeaver really teaching you that much? Either way you'd need to sit down and learn some HTML to understand what either system is doing.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 06:55 AM
    A couple things to consider, then, gigglebite: I found Dreamweaver easy to learn. If you can find a cheap older version of it, it's definitely worth having around.

AS LT pointed out, though, the bottom line is that you'll be learning new software.
    missmooey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 06:38 PM
    If you want a site that gives you that abilities (blogs/pages per user) and a place to edit and work everything out, I wouldn't start it from scratch. I would use a CMS system - there are many of them available, like Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress.

Since you want something relatively complex (each person should have a blog and a community), you could either use drupal (but that sometims requires a bit of extended knowledge, I find) or Joomla with a something like jomSocial extension. The extension costs money ($100 a year) but it's realtively cheap and Joomla is free.

It's also very VERY easy to configure once you get the hang of things, and will give you all the power you require with the ability to let your users edit their own pages (and for you to control user access, articles, etc).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scared for high school [ 16 Answers ]

I'm going to be a freshman next year and me and my friends are scared ****less does anyone have any advice on high school like what to do and what not to do for us. And are the freshman anything like do all the upper classmen just ignore us or do they hate us or something Please help me out ...

Do I need a high school diploma to... [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't know, witch thread to put this under but do I need a high school diploma to go to a trade school or college class. And how much would it cost to get my diploma online?

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

High school interns [ 1 Answers ]

I am implementing an internship program for high school students in central Florida.  the focus of the program is to expose/preview career options upon graduating from high school through continuing education.  hopefully the intern will have a better perspective of what they want before they get to...

View more questions Search