Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathypa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Cramping with Menses
    Can you tell me the cause for cramping with Menses?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 30, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Release of a hormone called a prostaglandin produces a variety of effects. In menstruation the contract the smooth muscle in the wall of the uterus causing menstrual cramps, and additionally labor contractions if pregnant. Prostaglandings stimulate a secretion of hormones from the adrenal cortex (in your adrenal gland located above the kidney). Hope this was not too medical for you.
    kathypa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Thanks J9,
    You're response is appreciated, not too much medical as I do have a background in the medical field but was at a loss for the cause of the cramping. I have applied for Medical Insurance and they are denying me because I have ongoing painful cramping with menses. Hello - who doesn't?? Anyway, I will write a letter for reconsideration. Thanks again,
    Kathypa
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 30, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Yes write a letter for reconsideration letting them know that this is a common occurrence with women, and has no bearing on any disability whatsoever. I forgot to give credit where credit is due, but will do so now. The info I gave you is from Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology Tenth Edition page 477. If that may help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missed period.. Cramping! [ 8 Answers ]

I can say I am definitely not pregnant. Over the past six or so months I am having very irregular periods . Period dec no jan period feb and no period since feb. 13. I have cramps as if I am getting period, lots of acne (I never had this much as a teen. I also am unable to loose weight. (don't...

Irregular Menses [ 9 Answers ]

I have had irregular periods right from the onset for which I even took treatment and have taken hormonal medicines as well. My periods are all right when I'm on medicine and gets irregular again once I stop. I have been married for the last one and half year and took birth control pills which I...

Bleeding and cramping in early pregnancy [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having mild cramping on and off for the past week. Today I started bleeding with stronger cramping. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a month. I am about 4 days shy of when my period would normally start (and I'm usually regular), and tried a early detection...

2 missed periods constant cramping [ 1 Answers ]

I have missed 2 periods and I should have had my last one over 10 days ago, over the last 2 and a half weeks I've delt with heavy menstraul cramping but no period. It's to the point where I just can't do normal activities. I've tried many times to get an appointment with no luck. I don't take...

Mild Cramping and spotting when I wipe [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5 weeks and 5days pregnant and I have been spotting for about a week. I have had mild cramping but nothing major and the spotting is only when I go to the bathroom and wipe. It is mostly light brown to light pink. I have had some red but it was very little. I have not had clots or heavy...

View more questions Search