Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwg594 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Mulch odor in the house
    What could be causing an odor of mulch inside my house? I have not used any mulch around the outside of my home. This odor started a couple of weeks ago, just in one section of my house but we could never figure out what it was or where it was coming from. It would come and go, but now the odor seems to have reappeared in more areas of the house. Any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 07:29 AM

Odors that come and go are tough to diagnos on the inetrnet. Mulch smells like mold and mildew to be so maybe that's what you have is mold somewhere. Sewer drain lines also smell from sewer gas and/or biofilm that builds up inside the pipes. Your vent stack goes out the top of the home via the roof and vemts this air. Sometimes, deoending on weather coditions, that stale air falls back down the outer walls and can sneak back inside the home. Have you had and drain problems at all lately?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Under house odor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a strong odor coming from the crawl space (about 18" high) under the house. It is acrid and earthy; strong and unpleasant. We have tested air for mold-no unusual problem. Made a french drain about 20 years ago around half of the house, still dampness in that half, but not wet or standing...

Odor in my house [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have had an odor in the house for the last 8 weeks and still can't track what it is. It smells like gas at times. The funny thing is that we don't have gas at all. I had a plumber come through all he did is smell the sinks and my vent stacks and said my plumbing is fine. Its not a dead rat or...

Odor in House [ 6 Answers ]

I am considering buying a house, which I love, but there is an odor in the house that smells like sewage/urine. The house is winterized so the water is turned off... ie. There is no water flowing through the pipes. Could this be the cause of the smell since water is not flushing the sewage...

Will mulch against my house foundation cause bug problems? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently ripped out a ton of out of control plants along the side of my house and replaced them with a few small bushes and flowers. I filled in the remaining space with hardwood mulch (with 3 layers of newspaper underneath.) Since then I have been reading about a possible link between mulch...

View more questions Search