Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Freezer door pops open slightly when refrigerator door is closed.
    I have an Amana bottom freezer refrigerator and when I close the refrigerator door the freezer door opens ever so slightly, so one is not aware it is open. Also, when you gently close the feezer door it stops short of forming a seal and you need to push it to get it to close.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2008, 10:50 PM

Igray - It sounds like your bottom freezer door is out of alignment with the freezer opening. Try to reset the door,by looseing the screws and then retighten the screws. Try this and if it don't help come back on this post and let us know and then well try another apporch to the problem , Have a good day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    acroll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Problem solved. I bought a brand new Kenmore and had this problem. Doors were adjusted properly and sealing well but the main door and freezer door weren't swinging shut on their own. I read up on the internet about this problem and adjusted the front two feet so that the doors swing shut and then oiled the hinges with 3 in 1 oil. Voilą! Problem solved. No matter how hard I slam the main door the freezer pops open a bit and then shuts on its own.
    acroll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Problem solved. I bought a brand new Kenmore and had this problem. Doors were adjusted properly and sealing well but the main door and freezer door weren't swinging shut on their own. I read up on the internet about this problem and adjusted the front two feet so that the doors swing shut and then oiled the hinges with 3 in 1 oil. Voilą! Problem solved. No matter how hard I slam the main door the freezer pops open a bit and then shuts on its own.
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jul 12, 2010, 12:42 PM

You would think a wider magnet surface would be able to withstand the pressure difference in the cabinet when the other door is slammed or an air curtain in the diffuser could stop the draft... but that would be an area for designing... some boxes have a grab hinge on them which prevent it from coming out from air pressure. Imagine an electro-magnetic gasket with a smaller surface... maybe that will be coming.
    rleltzroth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
    Our new Kenmore top freezer refrigerator had the problem of the freezer door popping open when the lower door was closed

I just got 2 strong little magnets (1" x 1/8" x 1/2") from a place I saw on Google, K&J Magnetics. They actually worked. Strong enough to keep the freezer door shut but not too strong so the door can be opened easily
    TruthinDelavan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 08:24 PM
    I worked for 2 days trying to get the freezer door from poping open on our Amana bottom freezer refrigerator. I read somewhere on the internet about heavy duty magnets helping, so I bought 2 small bar magnets (about 2 inches long) at Home Depot and put them on the out edges of the door outside the gasket. I had the freezer "close enough to closing" so the power of the magnets made sure it stayed closed. That did the trick for us after hours of trying to get it to work right with adjusting rollers and brake feet. The magnets can hardly be seen at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light on Craftsman Garage Door Open will not turn OFF, when Open. [ 8 Answers ]

I purchase a new Craftsmang ½ hp Garage Door Open and found out in the Problem Section that if I have the door open and cross the safety sensor beams the light will turn ON automaticlly. I hate this feature because my kids constatnly run in and out of the garage door when it is open, so the light...

Garage door won't stay closed [ 2 Answers ]

We just replaced our garage door. We kept the old spring; pulley; wires and frame. However, when we hooked up the wire it either came off the pully or when closing the door it would re-open 6-10 inches. How can we adjust the door to remain closed and on the wire on the pulley?

Bottom freezer door pops open [ 1 Answers ]

When I close my Kenmore refrigerator door (596.7523940--bottom freezer model), the freezer door pops open. How do I adjust door to prevent this from happening?

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

View more questions Search