Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jleef916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Travel agent 1099-Misc
    Hi! I am a self-employed travel agent. I work through a "host" agency, through which I do my bookings. I received a 1099 from my host agency with my commissions on it. Obviously, I treat this as business income.

I booked a trip for 2 teachers to accompany students to a competition. The Board of Education paid me the cost of the trip and I made the arrangements. I received a 1099-misc from the Board of Education, but I believe this is incorrect. Should I treat this also as income and claim the cost of the trip then as an expense, or should I ask them to provide a corrected 1099 to me showing $0?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 11:23 AM
    If the Board of Education 1099 represents income already covered by the host agency's 1099, then reflect that on your Schedule C.

If the IRS challenges this, it should not be too hard to show this by requesting a detailing accounting of your account from the host agency.
    jleef916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    If the Borad of Education 1099 represents income already covered by the host agency's 1099, then reflect that on your Schedule C.

If the IRS challenges this, it should not be too hard to show this by requesting a detailing accounting of your account from the host agency.

I'm not sure I am following you. I should claim the 1099 as income (even though it was a payment for a trip, not income) and then show a reduction on my Schedule C? How would I do that and what would I categorize the reducation as?

Should I ask the Board of Ed. To correct it on their end?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I assume that when you received the money from the Board of Education, you paid your host agency for the costs of the trip, and received a commission from the host agency.

The commissions are your income that you report on the Schedule C.

You could have avoided this problem by returning the money to the board and tell them to pay it directly to the host agency. Regardless, you were merely a conduit for the money received from the Board to the host agency.

That money is NOT income to you, and should not be reported as such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Online vs travel agent [ 4 Answers ]

We are thinking about taking our vacation to the Caribbean (maybe Mexico) is better to book on our own or go with a travel agent? And not just price wise but also safety and problems? Is it overrated booking with an agent? Also all inclusive or not?

Agent admin fee on 1099-INT? [ 9 Answers ]

This is the first year that my security deposit for my apartment has started to earn interest (it is entirely managed by the rental company). I am totally frustrated with how this is turning out. So for $850, I earned $11.34 interest (horrible rate, but that's not the point). Out of which an...

Travel Agent for a Weekend Getaway? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently trying to plan a weekend getaway for my girlfriend and I. I am planning this getaway for sometime in January of 09. I know almost exaclty what I want for this weekend but am having trouble serfing and filtering the web to find exactly what I am looking for. Expedia, Hotels.com etc......

1099 MISC - Lost Travel Receipts [ 1 Answers ]

I was issued a 1099 MISC form and was required to travel several times throughout the year. Unfortunately, I misplaced several hotel receipts. If I have corresponding receipts, i.e. airline, rental car, and miscellaneous receipts, that prove that I did travel and can establish length of time away...

View more questions Search