Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendyCA Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

May 30, 2006, 01:34 AM
    Pay-right mortgages?
    HSBC and now another mtg lender have excitingly described this type of loan which allows a person to get deducted interest rates over periods during which the mtg loan is paid as promised.

Is this a bait and switch tactic?

I have a 720 FICO but am two years out of CH13 (discharged 2004, completed).

I want to sell a home I live in (neighborhood is changing for the worst with unsavory people moving in and I am unhappy here) and owe 59,000 on a home worth about 200,000. A townhouse I am interested in is 230,000 and in good shape (will have home inspector go through it if I can find financing I am comfortable with). The mtg broker is telling me he can get a 6.1 fixed rate with pay-right option.

I really want to stay with Wamu and a conventional loan but the loan officers and mtg broken keep directing to these Pay-right mtg plans.

Is there someone here familiar with this? Thank you for your time.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

May 30, 2006, 09:56 AM
    I have been doing mortgages for over 23 years. I don't claim to know everything, but I do try to keep up. A few years ago FNMA came up with their Expande Approval program for less than perfect loans. Depending on whether it is a Level I, II, or III, the rate is about .5% to about 1.5% higher than prevailing. On Levels II and III they offer a "Timely Payment Reward" program at an added cost (about .75 point). After two years of on time payments, the rate will revert to the lower level.

Considering that the going rate for a 30 year fixed mortgage is in the neighborhood of 6.625% (with 0 origination and 0 points), a starting rate of 6.1%, with the guarantee of going even lower, just sounds too good to be true. A prospective borrower whom I spoke with a couple of days ago said that he has a loan such as the one that you have described. He also mentioned that his loan has a Prepayment Penalty. In my experience, Prepayment Penalties are used by lenders to discourage borrowers from escaping a nast loan.

As Elmer Fudd has said so many times: "Be wewy wewy cawefull."

May 30, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Thank you. I am in the dubious position of making a decision that could ruin my life!

Thank God for boards like these.

Jun 1, 2006, 12:29 PM
    This explains in some detail the "pay right plan" or pick-a-pay plan as the broker called it. It sounds to me like it is avoiding paying the mtg so you can invest your money elsewhere. But, in reality, that is taking high risk with the one major asset most people own. I walked away from it. In case you are curious, here it is:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff127829.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About bi weekly mortgages [ 12 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one has had any experince with a biweekly type mortgage. We are getting ready to fill out some papers to start up that type of Mortgage. I know it would be cheaper to just pay the extra payment myself. That is what it works out to is paying an extra payment a year. But...

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

DotCom Mortgages... Safe, Reliable? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello group! I was wandering if anyone has any substantial information or views on dotcom mortgage companies such as Ditech or some companies like Lending Tree and if they are worth seeking a mortgage with decent rates? Any help greatly appreciated as always.

View more questions Search