Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chendol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2006, 10:09 PM
    Hampton Bay Bath Light Fixture - Not Fan related
    Hi,

My Hampton Bay bath light fixture recently started to act up. It has 3 bulbs and when switched on, one bulb would go off for a minute or so then come back on. It does this on and off. I rewired the connectors and then a different bulb would have the problem. I replaced all the bulbs so it's probably not bulb related. I then use a different wire connector (not the screw cap type) and the problem still persisted. It's always just with one bulb that goes off and then back on.

Any one have ideas? I'm trying to avoid replacing the fixture as I have an identical fixture next to this one with no problems. So unless they still have the same model for sale, I prefer not to have to purchase 2 new light fixtures.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 30, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Sometimes the small contact at the bottom of the socket gets bent down just enough to loose contact with the bottom of the lamp at times, esp. if the lamp was on for a while and now the socket is hot.

This sometimes happens because lamps are installed and tightened too tight.

Be sure to shut off the power, as this is the live contact, and use a small tool to gently bend the contact up a 1/16th -1/8th inch.

If this does not help, then the socket or the wire connected to the socket may be defective.
    Magnesium Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 11:27 AM
    I agree, it's probably a problem with the socket for the bulb itself. If you have a multimeter it is possible to confirm this. Your easiest bet would be to return it to Home Depot, but if that unit has become discontinued you may want to take the unit apart and see if soldering a lose connection is an option for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

New bath fixture - pipes vibrating! [ 5 Answers ]

We've recently remodeled our 50 year old bathroom. Replaced our tub shower with a new single handle blending valve. Now we're totally freaked out because the pipes appear to be vibrating when we set the handle for a warm blend of water. No vibration when full hot, or full cold, just when it's...

Waterproof light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I built "wet bathroom" that has tile floor/walls/ceiling. This room can be used as a spare shower. I need to find a waterproof or enclosed light fixture for over the sink. I have not been able to find one that will work yet. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian123:)

Hot Basement Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

My hubby and I recently replaced one of those standard ceramic single light bulb fixtures with a pull-chain present in old basements. I noticed that it is getting very hot when only a 40 watt bulb is in it burning. When only the TV and VCR are plugged into it, it's fine - it doesn't get hot. ...

Replace light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a light fixture and am confused at all the wiring here. I have two red wires connected to ea other and two black wires connected to ea other. Besides that I have two white wires that were used to connect my old fixture which had two clear plastic covered copper wires. My new light...

View more questions Search