Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoiveplumbing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Drain washing machine through a cleanout plug.
    Want to discharge my washing machine through the opening of cleanout plug of cast iron vertical soil pipe at my basement.
    Size of plug is 2"7/8.
    Please show me how to adapt the PVC pipe(2'' pipe) to the cast iron soil pipe. Thanks
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 07:51 PM

That plug is probably 3".... I assume the w/m will be positioned in close proximity of the clean out....

1. Remove the clean out plug
    2. Take 3" PVC male adapter, put teflon tape on threads, screw it in place of the plug
    3. Take 3" x 2" PVC bushing and glue it into the male adapter
    4. Cut short piece of PVC pipe and glue it inside the bushing
    5. Glue 2" PVC trap onto this short piece of pipe
    6. Cut no less than 30" of 2" PVC stand pipe and glue it into the P-trap

... and you are ready to go
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Hello Hoive...

Milo started this well... but left out that you will also need a VENT for this washing machine. An air admittance valve (AAV)can act as the vent for this or you can continue the vent and connect into other vent in the basement or upstairs in attic.

I would recommend that you pipe this as I have drawn below... The AAV screws into a female adapter. I would also figure a way to hang all this properly.

You will need:

Can of cement
    Can of primer
    Teflon tape or pipe dope (for threaded fittings)
    1-3" male adapter
    1-3"x2" wye
    1-3" end cleanout with plug
    1-2" 45 degree fitting
    1-2" sanitary tee fitting
    1-2" ptrap with cleanout
    1-2"x1.5" reducing coupling
    1-1.5" end cleanout without plug
    1-1.5" Provent (AAV)
    10 feet 2" pipe, and some
    Perforated strap hanging.

Let us know if need more info. Here... ;)

PS... if cleanout not 3" but 2" plug just reduce 3" stuff to 2"

MARK

Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Mass plumber, (Mark) nailed it in my estimation. The only thing I would change is the height of the stand pupe. We make our washer stand pipes a minimum of 36" and even add a "surge pipe", (see image)if needed. Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 07:47 AM

Mark, yep, I was thinking whether I should suggest vent in or not. But then I didn't suggest it since the trap would be only few inches away from the main 3" stack. I thought absence of vent in this situation would not inhibit flow over few inches of horizontal run.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Mass plumber, (Mark) nailed it in my estimation. The only thing I would change is the height of the stand pupe. We make our washer stand pipes a minimum of 36" and even add a "surge pipe", (see image)if needed. Good luck, Tom
    Re: Post #4: Tom, I would get arrested for this in So.California! :D:D:D
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Hey Milo...
    I bet you would get arrested on that in Cali... ;) My code only requires an 18-30 inch standpipe but I compromise here... just like you do as we all need to find that middle ground all too often!

Anyway, just so Hoive is clear... if there are no fixtures connected into the stack ABOVE the connection of this plug then you don't need a vent. BUT if you have fixtures above it like I think you do (or cleanout would not be there) then you definitely need a provent or an individual vent off this washing machine drain as anything that passes the washer connection/trap could siphon trap of water and allow sewer gasses into home if no vent to allow air into system.

Hope that made sense?

Good luck!
    hoiveplumbing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hello Hoive...

Milo started this well....but left out that you will also need a VENT for this washing machine. An air admittance valve (AAV)can act as the vent for this or you can continue the vent and connect into other vent in the basement or upstairs in attic.

I would recommend that you pipe this as I have drawn below...The AAV screws into a female adapter. I would also figure a way to hang all this properly.

You will need:

Can of cement
    Can of primer
    1-3" male adapter
    1-3"x2" wye
    1-2" 45 degree fitting
    1-2" ptrap with cleanout
    1-1.5" Provent (AAV)

Let us know if need more info. here...;)

PS...if cleanout not 3" but 2" plug just reduce 3" stuff to 2"

MARK

Dear Massplumber2008:
    Thank you for your clear instruction accompanied by a worthy diagram from a master. I would follow it exactly like that this weekend. Thanks again.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Hello Hoive...

Milo started this well....but left out that you will also need a VENT for this washing machine. An air admittance valve (AAV)can act as the vent for this or you can continue the vent and connect into other vent in the basement or upstairs in attic.

I would recommend that you pipe this as I have drawn below...The AAV screws into a female adapter. I would also figure a way to hang all this properly.

You will need:

Can of cement
    Can of primer
    1-3" male adapter
    1-3"x2" wye
    1-2" 45 degree fitting
    1-2" ptrap with cleanout
    1-1.5" Provent (AAV)

Let us know if need more info. here...;)

PS...if cleanout not 3" but 2" plug just reduce 3" stuff to 2"

MARK

Problem is, a C/O tee isn't a directional fitting, Mark.

If I tied horizontally into a vertical stack with a C/O tee and a male adapter, my inspectors would sh** lil' green nickels, and rightfully so.

Irony of ironies, I've been dealing with this very scenario on my most recent job -- We need to tie a grease interceptor into a 4" vertical stack, but the lowest fitting was a 4" C/O tee.

Anyhow, this last Friday, we cut into a live stack in the middle of the afternoon and replaced the C/O tee with a Sanitary Tee -- No Brown Trout, but we were prepared for all contingencies before cutting into the stack.
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2008, 06:39 PM

Hoiveplumbing: you don't use PipeDope on PVC . It contains acid that will soften PVC threads eventually producing leak. If you still want to use paste-like thread sealer you will have to buy one that is made specifically for PVC and other plastic pipes. These sealants are not so common and very seldom sale in BigBoxStores. Otherwise, Teflon tape is the choice.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Growler...

You know I won't argue with you here... It is also illegal to tie into cleanout like this in my area... exactly why I had hoive at least install another cleanout in end of run.

I'm glad you posted this as I should have posted that for Hoiveplumbing so he could make the decision...

Hoive, if you want... you can cut a new fitting into the stack... it really is best in the long run as tying into cleanout is code illegal and a home inspector could raise a flag over it when you try to sell your home. We are glad to help if interested in this... let me know.

Otherwise, proceed as diagrammed... system will work fine in this case!

And nothing like cutting into a live stack... huh IAG... can be very messy! Always a pleasure to see you here Growler!. :)

MARK
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Growler...

You know I won't argue with you here....It is also illegal to tie into cleanout like this in my area.....exactly why I had hoive at least install another cleanout in end of run.
    Still, he's going to lose a full size cleanout if he plumbs it as drawn.

If he decides to go this route, he should consider using a 3x2 combo and a 3" c/o adapter.

*shrugs*

Just a thought.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Milop, Growler!
    Re: Post #4: Tom, I would get arrested for this in So.California!
    Adding a surge pipe to a washer stand pipe, (see image) can get me busted?
    Thanks for adding one more item to the many restrictions of UPC that I find both, costly, silly, and in some cases downright stupid. What's the reasoning behind this oine? Aren't the rest of the 90% of us glad we don't follow UPS? Have a great day! Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 06:03 AM

Tom, geeee, get over it!. and stop scaring people with your pictures this early in the morning !:D:D:D
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Tom, geeee, get over it ! ....and stop scaring people with your pictures this early in the morning !:D:D:D
    Can't get over it Milo as long as you and Growler keep bringingt UPC into your answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Basement drain hole.can I drain washing machine with this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all.. im new here.ive owned my home for about 5 years and I'm still learing... my current dilemna is that I want move my wsher and dryer to the basement.I think I know how to handle the hot and cold water plumbing but I don't know what to do about the drain... now my basement has a drain hole in...

View more questions Search