Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fusioneclipse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
    FRAUD from purchased motorcycle
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently purchased a motorcycle that was notified by me from the seller that had been in accident but he went over every COSMETIC (he told me only cosmetic damage) part that he knoes that had damage when I had asked about the slight leak he said it was normal. When we agreed to for the transaction to take place he drove the bike to my house and sold it to me at my house. The next day I noticed a consistent leakage form the bottom of th eengine and noticed paint cracking off. IT was then I discovered that the whole right side of the engine had been weldd on and attempted to be covered by paint. The guy acknowledged the fact he knew about it and "forgot" to tell me in a text message. But he is denying any refunds watsoever. I am plannign to take him to court for a refund or the cost of the new engine. I did sign a bill of sale, and it does state as is from the dmv bill of sale sheet. Do I have a case to build on this guy?

The oil leakage does pose for a danger for the rider and the weld does affect the structural integrity and safety of the bike

How should I go about taking this case to small claims court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 05:23 PM

Normally used vechile sales are done "as is" you had a duty and obligation before the sale to take the motorcycle to a third party to have it checked out.

So most likely since you chose not to have it checked first, you have little case.

Oct 12, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    normally used vechile sales are done "as is" you had a duty and obligation before the sale to take the motorcycle to a third party to have it checked out.

So most likely since you chose not to have it checked first, you have little case.
    Insnt that considered intentional concealment though?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 09:05 PM

You knew it had been in an accident, so it's not like he really tried to hide the knowledge from you. If you chose not to have a mechanic look at it before you bought it, that's going to most likely wind up being your problem, not the sellers.

Oct 12, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7 View Post
    You knew it had been in an accident, so it's not like he really tried to hide the knowledge from you. If you chose not to have a mechanic look at it before you bought it, that's going to most likely wind up being your problem, not the sellers.
    Paint was used to "cover up" the weld...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fusioneclipse View Post
    paint was used to "cover up" the weld....

It's as is - it's your duty as the purchaser to have it checked over.

You can, of course, always sue in Small Claims but I don't think you will win. Unfortunately, it's buyer beware.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

Deed purchased [ 3 Answers ]

My friend bought this condo last year and changed his mind and got a house a few months after and rented the condo to a couple they refused to pay rent , it's been more than 6 months now that they have been living rent free in this condo, Now he chooses to sell me this condo for a cheap price now...

Purchased made [ 2 Answers ]

I made a purchased of a vase, using one of those blank checks The cred card company sends you. But they charged me cash advance fee. On the purchase. Does that sound right??

View more questions Search