Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magnesium Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan works great... until I add the remote controller unit.
    Hi, I'm the "proud" owner of a Southwind V ceiling fan. I'm a pretty cautious person by nature so when I installed the ceiling fan I left out the optional remote controller piece to make sure all works well.

Blue and black fan wires to the black wire in the wirebox, and white on white (grounds also connected).

Works like a charm. Now I install the wireless controller unit, a bit of a tight fit but I get it all installed. The unit's white, blue and black to the controller's white, blue and black, and controller's white and red wires to the ceiling recepticle's white and black.

Now the fan spins only slowly, the remote control responds intermittently and the light doesn't work even when I pull the pull cord. After checking and re-checking my electrical connections for the umpteenth time I came to the conclusion that it must be the remote controller unit, so I returned to Home Depot and had them switch it for a brand new remote controller unit. Hooked that one up and it's still not functioning correctly.

Even more disconcerting, when I was removing the remote controller (light switch off) I got a bit of a shock when unbinding the unit to controller white wires. I never get shocked when dealing with electrical wiring, so I'm suspicious of capaciters having unleashed their worst onto me.

Does it sound like I happened to get another defective remote controller, or am I doing something wrong? I'm very unsure how to proceed

Edit: Correction, not a Hampton Bay fan. It's just branded as Southwind V.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
    I am presuming, since the remote control is optional, that the fan also has pullchains for operation. Make sure they are set to "high" and "on".
    Magnesium Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    I am presuming, since the remote control is optional, that the fan also has pullchains for operation. Make sure they are set to "high" and "on".
    Sorry, I had the wrong brand. I confirmed when I got home that it's just Southwind V, not a hampton bay product. There are two pull chains, one that controls the light and the other is a 4 position fan control (off, low, medium, high).

Are you suggesting that I have these set to on (for the light) and high fan speed prior to installing the remote controller unit? Would this have any difference then pulling on the pull chains after starting the unit via the remote?

Thanks for any clarification you may provide.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 30, 2006, 11:59 AM
    When attempting to operate the fan, make sure the fan pullchain is set to "high" and the light pullchain is set to "on".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton bay ceiling fan remote [ 26 Answers ]

We have missplaced our remote for ceiling fan. Fan will not work. Have another remote for other fan but will not work on this fan. Can I secure a remote that will work fan? Please help Hot in bed

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

View more questions Search