Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Helpanawsomedad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Parental Right To Claim Son on tax return.
    Please help me somebody!
    My so just turned 2 years old. I pick my son up on Friday nights because of my crazy work hours. I have my son until Monday afternoon then I go to work. I make sure he has everything he needs like a good father should. Seems cool right? WRONG! My sons mothers greedy as hell. On my sons first year we agreed to rotate years to claim my son so she claimed him in 06. 07 came around and she said she needed it for an apartment because she was staying with her grandmom. OK cool! It's 08 and now she says I could claim but what is she getting out of it? What dah fukk is that? GREED! She claimed for two years and no apartment. She takes vacation and shopping sprees with my sons money thinking I don't know anything or I'm not paying attention. I have all my receipts from day one to prove me taking good care of my son. What rights do I have to stop this? We are living in separate homes THANK GOD!
    She throws this in my face like she's doing me a favor. She's not getting none of my sons money and damn sure not any of mine. His money goes in his account I have for him.
    I'm even considering recording her because she's so loose with her mouth. Will that help?
    Somebody HELP AN AWSOME DAD!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 08:32 AM

Do you have a court-ordered custody and support schedule? If you don't, I suggest getting one in place right now. It doesn't matter that you "make sure he has everything" and put money in "his account". That may get you out of paying arrears if the mother decides to take you to court for support. But right now, you want to get a formal agreement in place so that you both can know exactly what the rules are that you need to follow.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 08:34 AM

Well actually unless it is spelled out in the child custody agreement, she can claim it every year since she is the custodial parent. Next are you paying her child support ? If not you should be not money into sons account but money for her to pay for your child's food, his home and so on.

So yes someone is very very very selfish and greedy and I don't know how she puts up with you.

So get a child custody agreement with this in writing on what years, get a child support agreement in writing and start paying proper child support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    well actually unless it is spelled out in the child custody agreement, she can claim it every year since she is the custodial parent. Next are you paying her child support ? if not you should be not money into sons account but money for her to pay for your childs food, his home and so on.

So yes someone is very very very selfish and greedy and I don't know how she puts up with you.

So get a child custody agreement with this in writing on what years, get a child support agreement in writing and start paying proper child support.

So someone should get a support order and enforce it - and please clean up your language on the legal board. This is not a message board and you are inappropriate. I find you less than "awesome."

And I agree with Frchuck - who is feeding your son with what money when he's not spending 2-1/2 days a week - ?

And my new favorite postscript - another example of why people should not have sex with people who are irresponsible, crazy, drug addicted, unfit or bad parents, vindictive - or don't want to be parents.

And this goes in both directions.

And if you "record her" in many States it's a felony and you won't have to worry about custody and/or support because you'll be in jail.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 11:45 AM

Well as alread said a few times unless you have custody papers that state otherwise she can claim him every year. If all she is doing is claiming him on her taxes then it isn't his money anyway it is her money that the government gives parents a break on so they can raise their kids. Did she ever go to court to get support from you? If not she should and you should get your visitation through the court too so that she can't just yank that from you because of your attitude.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim my parents as dependent for tax return [ 7 Answers ]

I am a green card holder. My parents from China stayed with us for more than six month in 2006. Can I claim them as dependents for the tax file of year 2006? If yes, what should I do? Thank you very much, Helen

Claim non-citizen wife on joint tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I claim married filing jointly? Background: I am a U.S. citizen. I married with a J-1 visa student in Sept. 2006. J-1 status waived by U.S. govt in early summer 2007. Not completed any other change of status paperwork. Had child together Dec. 2007. Wife received no income in U.S. Her...

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

Claim my mother as dependent in tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am an American Citizen. My mother has a green card and social security number since Oct, 2006. Can I claim her as my dependent in my tax return? Thank you very much. Sincerely, Shih-Chu Liao

B1 visa but want to claim and return the tax [ 7 Answers ]

On year 2005, I came to USA as J1 work and travel program--so I got the SSN Then on 2006, I came to USA as B1/B2 (tourist visa) and work in USA And the problem is when I filled W-2 form (2006), I wrote EXEMPT on that form, and now they send me 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR form to fill and return to IRS...

View more questions Search